So I got the 5.01 DVD and could not get on the internet for the most part. I could go to a few sites like yahoo and dvdtalk but the rest of the net wasn't working for me. After searching this site I see many people had the same problem. I just found one of my old knoppix cd's version 3.6 and tried that. It worked perfectly. So I was like that is strange. Why would the cd work and not the DVD. So I went back to the DVD to see if something was different with the settings and couldn't find anything. I then just tried konqueror instead of firefox and that seems to work. I'm using it now in fact.
So given that the old 3.6 CD works and konqueror works on the dvd I'm guessing the problem is in firefox but for the life of me I can not find it. If i ever figure how I will replace firefox 1.5 with 2.0 and see if that corrects the problem.

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN
$55.00
BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$202.46