-
knoppix dvd 5.0.1 boot error
hello,
while trying to boot knoppix dvd 5.01 I got the following error early during boot up:
"cannot unite read-only media and initial ramdisk"
I checked the md5sum which is ok.
I tried it on a Intel and a AMD box (both around 2.2GHz, 750MB RAM) getting the same error message.
Knoppix dvd 4 worked on both boxes just fine.
Searching in this forum I only found this error mentioned in the years 2004 and earlier for Knoppix3 and earlier saying things about patches. I don't think this still applies now.
Does anyone know how solve this problem?
-
solved
I was able (forced
to solve the problem myself.
It turned out that the DVD was not fully ok.
I reburnt one of the same make and same speed and then booting worked just fine.
It seems that the compressed file system of knoppix is very sensitive to the smallest discrepancies.
It would be wise not only to check the integrity of the initially downloaded iso-file as I did but also the actual burned DVD. However I am not sure how to check the md5sum for a DVD. Maybe someone has a hint on this.
Thanks.
-
check the Knoppix DVD
When booting from the koppix dvd you can find in the grub menu under F2 a special cheat code for testing the knoppix dvd.
This feature is really recommended after burning since even small errors have drastic effects.
-
how to verify a burnt cd / dvd with its original iso file
there is another more general way to verify a cd / dvd with its original iso-file after burning:
create md5sum of the iso-file:
md5sum ORIGINAL-ISO-FILE.iso
read cd/dvd from eg. /dev/hdc and take only the initial portion of the same length as the iso-file leaving away the lead-out at the end and then send this into md5sum:
dd if=/dev/hdc | head --bytes $(stat --format=%s ORIGINAL-ISO-FILE.iso) | md5sum
Now compare the two md5sums. If they are the same you have a good burn.
I was surprised how many bad burns I produced without even knowing. Just a fingerprint can ruine your burning.
In case of music or video data you will not recognise the flaws. However, the compressed file systems like those of Knoppix will not forgive the slightest flaw.
-
you pretty much took care of everything yourself here. i'm sure the info will be valuable to whoever will later need it.
Similar Threads
-
By Ecstasy in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-13-2006, 08:01 PM
-
By yummyyummy in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-21-2004, 12:47 AM
-
By assem046 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 01:53 PM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
-
By StuPC in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-13-2003, 10:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial Micron 8GB (1x8GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT8G4SFRA32A
$29.99

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 CMK32GX4M2E3200C16
$159.99

128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5)
$2085.00

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$30.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$85.00

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980
$39.99