Hello,
I'm looking for a way to boot Linux from a USB-disk. Is this possible?
If this has already been discussed here can you please give me a link (I didn't find one). Thanks.
My situation: my Notebook (bought from Aldi about 6 months ago) has an internal disk with WinXP which I want to keep. So I want to add an additional disk with Linux on it. I've read that booting WinXP from a USB-disk does not work (officially). So I have to use the internal disk for WinXP and an external disk for Linux. Can I do this with Linux?
What I got:
Knoppix 5.01 works on this notebook. After booting from the CD I go to a commandline and enter the command to install Knoppix (for safety I removed the internal disk). Works. Now I have to reboot the machine and this works too: it boots from the external disk. Fine. But when I power down the machine and later power it on again Linux does no longer boot. Here are the effects:
test #1: with a 2.5" disk (needs 2 USB-connections)
there are a lot of lines coming onto the screen so I can assume that the boot-process works, but then:
sda: udevd-event [13309] wait for sysfs .......... failed
after this
reset high speed USB device
this occurs multiple times
sd 0:0:0:0 SCSI error, return code 0x50000
ALERT! /dev/sda does not exist
test #2: with a 3.5" disk (has an extra power-connector)
again a lot of lines telling what it is doing (but it takes some time). And then:
sda: sda1 sda 2
sd 0:0:0:0 Attached scsi disk sda
and it's hanging.
What's wrong here? Or is it (currently) not possible to boot from USB-harddisk?
AugustQ
PS: I tried the following distros too but they all failed. Knoppix seems to be the one to go.
The others were: SuSE 10.1, Xandros 3.1, Fedora Core 6, Ubuntu (from the c't some weeks ago), PCLinuxOS
All had the problem that they did not detect my USB-disk during installation.

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95
Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE
$225.00
Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone
$225.00
SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00
Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00
Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW
$450.00
SHORETEL Lot 5x IP 212K Voip IP212K Black Display Phone Refurbdd Warranty
$799.00
SHORETEL Lot 10x IP 212K Voip IP212K Black Display Phone Refurbd Warranty
$1699.00
Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07
Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE
$149.00