Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I log or pause the booting process so I can read it?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2

    How do I log or pause the booting process so I can read it?

    Hi, I am posting from Knoppix* right now. Right before the part where the femaie voice announces "Initiating start-up sequence" (forgive me if this isn't correct), a brief message is shown in white. This is the last thing I see at the Linux Penguin screen and it goes too fast to read it.

    Also, I've learned the names for the (generic) hardware inside my computer from watching Knoppix boot up. This information could be valuable to me when I try installing other versions of Linux on my PC, like Debian.

    So, I figure there might be three ways to do this. Please share the knowledge if you know how to do any of the following, or another way:

    Edit. New and Better idea:
    Maybe I could run the hardware detection from windows or from within Knoppix itself, but just for testing and nothing else? It would do the same thing it does when starting Knoppix, but only to write that information to a text file. Come to think of it, are there any small programs that do this for free when you aren't sure about the details of your hardware?



    1. The first idea was pausing the Penguin screen before Knoppix shows up, and asking the user to continue with 'Y/N,' similar to batch files. I could just read that from there, but this doesn't save anything. You get to see this once it's shut down, but I don't think you see everything. This is not the best solution

    2. The second idea would be to somehow save the booting information temporarily, and show it to the user after Knoppix has successfully been started. Maybe it would be put on the desktop when you start Knoppix.

    3. My last idea is that maybe this information is already stored somewhere in Knoppix, the same way certain programs save their installation information in log files. But I don't know where the log file for Knoppix would be if there was one.


    I'd prefer 2 or 3, because I could save all of them and email them to myself. However, this has one flaw, and that is preventing me from reading the failure logs which are just as valuable as the regular logs. Documenting what happens when Knoppix fails to start would be helpful for me.

    So one last question: Is there any possible way to tell Knoppix "Even if the booting fails, store all the booting information in a small text file the hard drive." Probably so I could retrieve that file in Windows, or another Linux? If this is not possible, it's OK.

    *Non-Sequitur/Completely off-topic: Knoppix only seems to work when I use either 'screen=800x600,' 'failsafe,' or both. I only tried twice, so I can't tell you which one yet. This is a major part of the reason why I made this topic in the first place.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    if you
    alt-ctrl-F1
    to the tty screen 1, the last of the boot sequence is there to read

    this is actually somewhere in my smoothwall, but that's not knoppix
    i looked a bit, can't see anywhere obvious, though there is a few places i think it might ought to be

    /var/log
    for a start
    probably some configuring of
    /etc/syslog.conf might help

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    do a man on dmesg

    then try dmesg | more

Similar Threads

  1. Another booting issue... Buffer I/O read error
    By Andu3019 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 05:10 PM
  2. RAID6 deg on 2x300GB IDE process hang during read/bad md5sum
    By warp9pnt9 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 02:32 PM
  3. apt-get download pause possible?
    By ramaswamyps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 06:30 AM
  4. process to monitor boot process and all necessary apps
    By metzelplik in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 08:11 PM
  5. bypass 30 sec pause on boot.
    By cujillo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$224.72



HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage picture

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage

$225.61



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$799.00



Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive picture

Vtg IBM Mainframe Prototype Chip Module Lot 146 pc 1988-1993 ES/9000 Lab Arcive

$649.00



Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ* picture

Commodore 64 PC with Model 1541 Diskette Drive and Flight Simulator II *READ*

$199.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000 picture

Rare Vintage Mainframe Burroughs Discrete-Transistor Cordwood Module B2500/B5000

$99.95



Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB picture

Vintage UNIVAC 3620670-01 Mainframe Logic Board 15MHz Sperry Computer PCB

$98.95



IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8

IBM 3274-51C Controller 3270 mainframe 8" floppy tested to power on

$500.00