Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: wireless card recognised as ethernet card.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    14

    wireless card recognised as ethernet card.

    Hey,

    trying to setup my laptop so I can connect my Wii through it to the net. Somethings not working though... My laptop has one wireless card, one ethernet, and one dial up modem. I want to set the wireless to Master and got an error in the terminal:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 mode Master
    Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
        SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not permitted.
    My first thought being my card doesn't support Master mode, but then I got thinking, not wanting to give up, so I set the root password and went root to try it again.
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 mode Master
    Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
        SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
    No such device, what? So I tried the next command that I thought could result in something.
    Code:
    iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.
    
    eth0      IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:""  Nickname:"HERMES I"
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.442 GHz  Access Point: 00:03:52:EA:D6:90
              Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Sensitivity:1/3
              Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=0/92  Signal level=-83 dBm  Noise level=-121 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    
    eth1      no wireless extensions.
    
    sit0      no wireless extensions.
    Now as I understand lo is the local routing, and eth1 is the connection I am using the internet through (checked via Ethereal). Now as far as I can tell eth0 should be wlan0, but isn't for some reason. Did I break something? How can I make this into wlan? I mean it's obvious that it is but obviously not recognised for some reason. Now I tried setting eth0 to Master, but I figured it should fail, but since I don't know Linux all to well, maybe it failed because my WiFi card doesn't support it.
    Code:
    iwconfig eth0 mode Master
    Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
        SET failed on device eth0 ; Operation not supported.
    BTW what is "sit0"? And how can I simply lookup info about these connections?


    And note I did use search but the threads I read didn't seem to apply to me.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    14
    Basically this issue has resolved itself. I did not realise that the person who codes the driver decides what to call the device and thereofre eventhough the name is eth0 it is still wlan and my card just isn't capable of Master mode... I'm and creating a new thread now because I have some issues with a USB WiFi adapter...

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless Ethernet PCMCIA Card not being recognized
    By Gobitron in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-01-2005, 08:57 AM
  2. Ethernet card,
    By Arabian in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 05:32 AM
  3. Digital TV card recognised Fine
    By DinB in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 09:27 AM
  4. Linksys wireless ethernet card problem
    By Kriil in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 04:14 PM
  5. ASUS A7N266-VM not recognised network card (built in) lspci
    By tiddler in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 11:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Hynix & Samsun (Lot Of 36) 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-10600R DDR3 Server Memory 144GB Total picture

Hynix & Samsun (Lot Of 36) 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-10600R DDR3 Server Memory 144GB Total

$120.00



MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY picture

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY

$229.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW picture

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW

$1.39