-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Can not boot Knoppix

Originally Posted by
GTA
Hello, newbie here. I have downloaded KNOPPIX_V5.0.1CD-2006-06-01-EN three times, and have made cd's with Isorecorder, Alcohol 120%, and Deepburner each on a seperate cd. I can not view the files on any of them. They will not boot. I also tried to mount the image with Alcohol and windows can not read disc. What am I missing? Do I need something for windows to read the iso files?
I'm amazed that anyone would say that they downloaded the iso 3 times, but not say if they had a good iso or not. It sounds like you don't even know if youir copy is good or not, and it really doesn't sound like it is.
Everything you need to know is contained in answer #1.
Although you really need to read and follow the entire faq, I'll point out a few key items: BitTorrent does it's own error checking and so gets good downloads (and can often even repair a bad download), the mirrors frequently provide corrupt downloads. While I would expect that Alcohol could burn iso files, no alcohol user has ever made the effort to update the wiki with proper burning information for that product. The faq lists several products that will work and gives the exact steps to take. No matter how you download, BT or mirrors, you should always check the md5 sum before burning the iso. If you think "I don't know what this is so I'll just ignore it" then perhaps Linux is not a good choice of an OS for you.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
-
By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage NEC Versa V/50 Notebook Computer with UNTESTED as/is
$29.99

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Vintage VGA Ultra II Tseng ET4000 1MB ISA SVGA Graphics Card DOS 386 486 Retro
$100.00

Vintage Northgate OmniKey 102 Mechanical Keyboard w Cable PC Untested
$169.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

1991 vintage APPLE The Macintosh Bible Software Disks & BIG BOOK Third Edition
$29.95

Vintage Honeywell Military Aerospace Avionics PCB Gold Ceramic Hybrid IC Board
$299.95

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00