-
Junior Member
registered user
wireless card recognised as ethernet card.
Hey,
trying to setup my laptop so I can connect my Wii through it to the net. Somethings not working though... My laptop has one wireless card, one ethernet, and one dial up modem. I want to set the wireless to Master and got an error in the terminal:
Code:
iwconfig wlan0 mode Master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not permitted.
My first thought being my card doesn't support Master mode, but then I got thinking, not wanting to give up, so I set the root password and went root to try it again.
Code:
iwconfig wlan0 mode Master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.
No such device, what? So I tried the next command that I thought could result in something.
Code:
iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"" Nickname:"HERMES I"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.442 GHz Access Point: 00:03:52:EA:D6:90
Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Sensitivity:1/3
Retry limit:4 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=0/92 Signal level=-83 dBm Noise level=-121 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
eth1 no wireless extensions.
sit0 no wireless extensions.
Now as I understand lo is the local routing, and eth1 is the connection I am using the internet through (checked via Ethereal). Now as far as I can tell eth0 should be wlan0, but isn't for some reason. Did I break something? How can I make this into wlan? I mean it's obvious that it is but obviously not recognised for some reason. Now I tried setting eth0 to Master, but I figured it should fail, but since I don't know Linux all to well, maybe it failed because my WiFi card doesn't support it.
Code:
iwconfig eth0 mode Master
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device eth0 ; Operation not supported.
BTW what is "sit0"? And how can I simply lookup info about these connections?
And note I did use search but the threads I read didn't seem to apply to me.
Similar Threads
-
By Gobitron in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-01-2005, 08:57 AM
-
By Arabian in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-06-2004, 05:32 AM
-
By DinB in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-26-2004, 09:27 AM
-
By Kriil in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-28-2004, 04:14 PM
-
By tiddler in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-24-2003, 11:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"
$14.24

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236
$549.99

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A
$10.99

Lot of 30 Genuine OEM Apple 30W USB-C Power Adapter for iPhone iPad MacBook Air
$419.59

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466
$19.99

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2
$12.99

OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015
$26.98

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good
$21.05

apple oem cube 5w charger
$6.99

NEW Original OEM 60W Charger for 2012 2013 2014 2015 APPLE 13" MacBook Pro A1435
$25.95