-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi guys...
I use this for my start-beryl.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
DRI=""
DRI=$(glxinfo |grep "direct rendering" |grep -o -i "yes" )
if [ -z $DRI ]; then
echo "No Direct Render support found..." >~/.beryl/beryl-xsession.log
else
if [ -f ~/noberyl ]; then
exit 0
else
echo "Starting Beryl..." >~/.beryl/beryl-xsession.log
/usr/bin/beryl-manager >>~/.beryl/beryl-xsession.log &
fi
fi
this way beryl-manager is loaded by default..... UNLESS Direct Rendering is not available or ~/.noberyl is present.
To disable the auto-loading of beryl you would do something like echo "" >/home/onemyndseye/.noberyl (simply create a file named ".noberyl" in the home directory of the user that you DONT want autoloading beryl.
Also useful for when Beryl freaks out... sometimes I've noticed if it crashes while I'm using it.. SOMETIMES (and not often) it tries to default back to the beryl desktop (instead of the fallback desktop).. where it could crash again (and probably will if it crashed well enough to get you to this point once) right off the bat...sending you back to the Login manager..... so when this happens I just quickley create the file ~/.noberyl and restart KDE/KDM... beryl is gone until I remove the file.
Also, for sysadmins ...this way start-berly.sh can be included in the /etc/skel (default files for all users).... even if you dont want ALL users using it... to disable auto-loading just add the ~/.noberyl file as root. (this ofcaorse will only stop it from being auto loaded.....not stop it from being run)
This came about because I load beryl-manager at startup.... but beryl is configured to use the KDE desktop by default .. Because for the most part I like beryl, but I like to be able to quickly turn it off/on (to show it off mostly...lol).... ... anyways - one day after compiling a new kernel that in-turn broke my direct rendering support I tried to login to KDE only to see beryl crash from the start (even though beryl desktop wasnt the default) and return me to KDM login...the above script is the result.
Similar Threads
-
By zaiko2000 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-21-2008, 07:18 PM
-
By Jamsh in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-09-2007, 04:42 PM
-
By onemyndseye in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-05-2007, 10:23 AM
-
By RandomGoon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-25-2006, 04:27 PM
-
By zenarchist in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-05-2006, 04:16 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99