Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Mounting NTFS USB Drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1

    Mounting NTFS USB Drive

    Very new to Linux. I have played with it some to know a little.

    I am in a situation where my laptop OS (Windows XP) is very hosed up. I can not boot into it at all (safe mode or otherwise) and I will need to reinstall. However, I am trying to use Knoppix Live CD as a means up backing up the hard drive to an external USB drive first. Somewhere, I am missing the boat on something (probably not getting to the root level and permissions correctly). I am able to see the NTFS hard drive partition and the NTFS USB drive but unable to mount them such that I can read from the laptop HD and copy to the USB HD.

    I have been reading and searching and not finding anything specific to this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?? I can not reinstall the laptop until I get it backed up!

    Thanks for the help.

    Ian

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Mounting NTFS USB Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    .... and the NTFS USB drive but unable to mount ...
    Knoppix can not safely write to NTFS drives, USB or not. See answers #6 and #5.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. mounting ntfs rw
    By matttail in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 10:57 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:36 PM
  3. mounting to NTFS
    By Li'l Roberto in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 11:04 PM
  4. Mounting NTFS HDD
    By ForbiddenSword in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 12:47 PM
  5. NTFS Mounting
    By dlichterman in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$345.00



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$245.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2550.00



​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested picture

​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested

$119.99



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00