-
"Foreign" drive formats and "dd" command
I would appreciate some advice from someone who's already "been there, done that" with my situation. (Disclaimer: I am familiar with computers, but a TOTAL newbie to Linux/Knoppix!)
MY SITUATION:
I have two 160 Gb drives. I need to move the data from one drive to the other. I want to copy EVERYTHING from the "old" drive onto the "new" drive, including boot record info, etc. (I believe this would be called a "sector-by-sector" copy). The drives are from a ReplayTV unit (similar to a Tivo), and therefore have a proprietary drive format and operating system on them, which Knoppix does not seem to recognize (I've tried it a couple times.)
My current plan is to connect the drives with one as Primary IDE Master (jumpered as Master on the drive), and one as Secondary IDE Slave (or possibly Primary IDE Slave), again with the drive jumpered to Slave. My CD drive is IDE, and is currently running as Secondary IDE Master. I don't know if it can be rejumpered to be a Slave, and I don't know if it would work properly even if I WERE able to jumper it as a Slave. (Obviously, I need to have the CD working in order to run Knoppix off the CD.) I'd rather not mess with rejumpering the CD, but I will if it proves necessary.
QUESTIONS:
(1) Is it true that the Knoppix "dd" command will accomplish the transfer I am looking for, even if Knoppix cannot "mount" the drives?
(2) If so, are there any special parameters I should use in the "dd" command? My current plan is to open a Root window, and type in:
"dd if=\dev\hda of=\dev\hdb" (assuming that "hda" is the source drive and "hdb" is the target.) Do I need to worry about specifying any partitions, since I want ALL partitions copied to the "new" drive?
(3) Are there any limitations within Knoppix as to the size of the drive that can be handled this way? (I have installed an add-in IDE controller with a BIOS extension to permit my system to recognize drives over 137 GB, and the controller shows in the boot-up screen that it DOES recognize the drives, at their correct capacity.)
(4) How can I identify which drive is which from within Knoppix? (i.e. verify that my "old" drive is actually "hda", etc.) One drive will have a lot of data on it and one won't, but I don't know if there's any way for Knoppix to know how much data is on a drive, given that Knoppix can't read the formatting! Would Knoppix's FDISK command return any identifying information, such as the drive's serial number? Are there any other utilities that might help me figure out which is which? (I am reluctant to trust that the Primary IDE Master will be "hda"; should I not be so suspicious?)
Thanks for your help,
George
Similar Threads
-
By MrBigTime in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-14-2005, 11:35 AM
-
By MrBigTime in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-14-2005, 01:42 AM
-
By mco in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-17-2004, 11:16 PM
-
By bladeraptor in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-26-2003, 12:11 PM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Laptop HP Hewlett Packard Pavilion N3110 Celeron 433 MHz *Please Read*
$50.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage PC Chips M571 Socket 7 Motherboard V3.2A K6500 CPU 384MB EDO DRAM cables
$74.99

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller
$35.00

Vintage Western Digital WD Caviar WD200 20GB IDE 3.5in HDD WD200BB-75CLB0
$34.95

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00