-
Firefox - how do I turn 'check for updates' on?
I'm using knoppix 5.0 live cd and my firefox installation has the 'check for updates' button greyed out. I've used vmware's browser appliance (ubuntu) and the same thing happens with that, however I've got some code that sorts it out. The code doesn't work with knoppix though, and I was wondering if anyone knows how I can adapt it to work?
Code:
chown -R vmware:vmware /opt/lib/
chown root:root /opt/lib/
I've tried replacing the vmware with knoppix, but I get an error msg about the /opt/lib/ not being found. Any takers?
TIA
-
Senior Member
registered user
gadgerama, not quite sure what the problem is...
I am running FF v1.5.0.7 - Hard Drive Installed
When I click on Edit, Preferances, go to the Advanced tab, and then the Update tab...
under "Automatically check for updates to:" - "Firefox" is not checked, and greyed out as well - but, I do have ability to check/uncheck the options "Installed Extensions and Themes" as well as "Search Engines"
Not sure about the chown you are doing, and not sure on the path you are using...
If I was going to guess, it has to be either in your /home/ area for privs, or your chown should use something like root:[some group] - like users or something, and add your users to the /etc/group file to include the username in the group 'users' ? i.e. add user 'sammy' to the list in /etc/group entry 'users' - then do a chown root:users
As it stands, I think your chown of root:root just locked out ANYONE from doing a update without being ROOT in firefox, if it did anything at all...
Not sure if I helped, or not, or just gave you more questions?
MS Cuddles
-=- Come to the Dark Side, we have penguins -=-
-
Junior Member
registered user
you have to change ownership of /usrl/lib/firefox (or wherever your firefox is installed) to the user who is running firefox.
Similar Threads
-
By gccradioscience in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-03-2008, 12:16 AM
-
By sdat1333 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-21-2004, 08:13 PM
-
By phaedral in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-09-2004, 03:06 PM
-
Replies: 39
Last Post: 07-24-2004, 07:56 PM
-
By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Retro 16-bit miroSOUND FM10 Sound Card Yamaha OPL 3 FM-Synthesizer NEW
$449.00

Vintage Retro Cyrix 6x86 133mhz 32mb RAM Floppy Combo
$299.00

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard
$249.95

Vintage PC sleeper case 2000 Pentium 4 full tower 6 drive bays
$59.99

Vintage Arrick Robotics Enhanced 16 I/O Logic Board 900867 REV A Control Card
$426.96

Vintage PPI Super Sketch G2400 for Texas Instruments TI99/4A
$150.00

Vintage Tei Inc 1977 CPU Assembly 13260 Circuit Board
$145.00

Vintage 1995 Adobe Premiere 4.2 Education Version Macintosh Editing Software
$79.99

Vintage Memorex Telex 122-Key AT Terminal Keyboard 96550264
$100.00