Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Booting Knoppix from a USB memory key in VMWare

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1

    Booting Knoppix from a USB memory key in VMWare

    Hi everyone,

    I've got a question with Knoppix 5.01..

    I've followed the instructions at http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key and everything is working as it should. However, I want to also try and boot my installation of Knoppix on my flash key from vmware (so I can do apt-get update's etc while working).

    I've selected for VMWare (Workstation 5.5.3) to use the full disk (/dev/sdb) and when I boot I get to the knoppix screen. If I hit enter I get the dreaded "Cant find KNOPPIX Filesystem.." error. I've tried adding fromhd=/dev/sda4 to as this is the device the usb flash key is assigned if I boot from the Knoppix CD in VMware (using the exact same VMWare config). I've also tried booting from the actual CD and trying the same thing also with no luck.

    Any help at this stage would be much appreciated!

    thanks

    grantonstar

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Delft-The netherlands
    Posts
    33

    May be its damaged

    Maybe there is some archive or something wrong in the data of your usb key sincerily i have never tried to boot from usb om vmware i dont know what could happen but if it says that it cant find it maybe its damaged.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting from 2GB USB Memory key
    By jasonl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 01:35 PM
  2. booting knoppix 3.8.1 in a VMware guest crashes RH 9.0 host
    By tinybox in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 07:55 PM
  3. VMWare: VMWare Tools can not be installed
    By Josh83 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:47 PM
  4. Error booting with 256 Mb memory
    By junwen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 10:59 AM
  5. 1 GB memory boot ISO image run entirely from memory?
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$25.00