Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Error starting KDE

  1. #1

    Error starting KDE

    First of all, I'm new to Linux systems
    Secondly, I have a Celeron 433Mhz 10GB 256RAM PC with integrated Intel graphics
    Thirdly, I've downloaded Knoppix 5.0 Live CD and managed to boot it by using these cheat codes:
    KNOPPIX NODMA NOAGP
    Unfortunately I can only see the mouse pointer and then I get A message that There's not enough RAM to load KDE,
    and I'm beign switched to TWM
    My goal is to install Knoppix on the HDD but i need a graphical tool :/

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Delft-The netherlands
    Posts
    33

    Try with XFCE

    Hello maybe your pc is a bit slow 4 kde so when you are in the boot prompt type this Knoppix desktop=Xfce its more lighter than kde it should load it easily bt i dont know about another instalation than the normal but i dont suggest you 2 install knoppix sometimes there are problems so try with another distribution

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    is that the one where it has Intel 815 onboard graphics
    and the closest you can get is Intel 810 ?
    possibly the NOAGP is mucking you up

    why did you try that for a success ?

  4. #4
    Thanks for the replies

    so try with another distribution
    I have tried debian, but the installer says it "Can't mount dev/hdc" I think it has something to do with DMA, unfortunately
    I didn't find a way to turn it off for debian :/

    Yup it's Intel 810 and here are the full specs of my pc:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...cname=bph05116
    if I don't use NOAGP I get the following messages:
    AGP Bridge found
    Using XServer i810
    Problem loading AGP module
    dev/hdc not ready
    then I see an X for a mouse pointer and nothing more

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    knock the video ram down as low as it will go in bios
    what does /dev/hda and /dev/hdc show as being during the boot up ?
    and does it match what you know to be there from the primary/secondary in bios ?

Similar Threads

  1. Error Message: "PCMCIA found, starting cardmgr." -
    By montalegrejorge in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
  2. Error Starting KMail from "saved" config and home
    By USHANABI in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2006, 12:25 PM
  3. Starting X11 Error in Install of Knoppix 3.3
    By ses182 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 05:37 PM
  4. Error starting X11.......
    By Rod in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 07:37 PM
  5. First Starting Up
    By brlund in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 01:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$128.96



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99