Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix messed up my suse distribution

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix messed up my suse distribution

    I used Knoppix as a rescue CD and now my suse system has a Knoppix login prompt after boot.
    I have looked everywhere that I know and cannot find out how that is done.
    I have reinstalled grub. I suspect that maybe my initrd file might have been modified, but that seems unlikely.
    I had found some xauth entries for the Knoppix hostname and deleted them. It seems that my hostname gets set to Knoppix sonehow.
    Here is the prompt that I get for loging:
    "Welcome to Suse .........
    Knoppix login:"
    I checked some of the config files for login and I did not find "Knoppix" in any of them.
    My dhclient.leases file has the following entry
    "option host-name "Knoppix";"
    That seems to be set because the HOSTNAME shell variable is set to Knoppix somehow.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1
    Hi,
    My first guess is that knoppix gave a hostname to the dhcp server when it got the lease, and suse doesn't. So suse gets the hostname from the previous lease, which is remembered by your dhcp server. To verify this hypothesis, you can unplug your network cable and reboot suse. It will probably come up without a hostname or the one you set up initially.

    If you want to change it back, use the suse tools to set the hostname (I don't have suse system at hand so I don't know the exact commands. It must be something like "hostname mynewname" but you should check that). I expect that this will override the hostname retrieved from the dhcp server.

    If you're the only one using this dhcp server then it is also an option to clear its configuration. How that is done depends on the server. If the dhcp server is a sophisticated one, you could also set up a reservation for your system (based on MAC address), including the hostname you want to assign to it. But that hostname will be applied to all OS-es running on it, if the OS accepts it.

    HTH,
    Arthur

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3
    OK Thanks. I think I have found the cause. dhclient uses previous leases.
    In the /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases file, I have found some leases with a Knoppix hostname.
    I will delete them, but I wonder how it got changed. I was using Knoppix as a rescue disk to backup a hard drive.
    {reviously I never found such a file since I was only searcing the /etc directory tree.


  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by donharter
    I will delete them, but I wonder how it got changed.
    Read the post by avdongen again, he hit it dead on. Knoppix did not make the change. It just took out the lease with your DHCP server. Suse then found out about the lease when it was rebooted and it made the change itself. If you want to avoid this in the future see if you can't change the settings in youir dhcp server to make the lease shorter and wait out the lease before booting back into Suse, or just release the lease in Knoppix before shutting down.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3
    Just deleting the dhcp.leases file did not work. I think when I shutdown the system a script wrote out the current information again which had Knoppix as the host name.
    I ran "dhclient -r eth0" and then emptied the dhcp.leases file. I opened up a text login window and could see that the Knoppix hostname was gone.

    You are saying that the comcast dhcp server stored my "Knoppix" hostname and returned it to me in a dhcp request after I rebooted and requested a new lease.


Similar Threads

  1. Why is KNOPPIX the only distribution that can see my RAID??
    By hissingshark in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 12:45 PM
  2. Messed up monitor after using Knoppix.
    By audax.a in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 03:22 AM
  3. knoppix 9/5/03 : dmesg messed up
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-15-2003, 12:00 AM
  4. Messed up windows, need Knoppix to recover.
    By OziD in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 07:20 AM
  5. Information distribution with KNOPPIX
    By paradocs in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$70.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95