-
Network with other O/S computers?
Hi, new to the community.
Well, my HD just died and after failing to install windows 98, xp, and even the vista beta, I decided to check out Knoppix.
Everything is fine except there is no sound (not really concerned about that), but I was wondering if it is possible to transfer files over (Knoppix still sees the files on my dead HD) from my dead HD over to this current computer I am using (windows xp) through LAN? So far I've tried configuring the LAN through the xp end, but it isn't detect the computer running Knoppix (the internet is fine tho). So how would I set up a LAN between the two O/S?
Thanks in advance for help!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Yes. See answer #5.
While there are many ways to do what you want and Microsoft file sharing is supportd, exactly how it behaves seems to vary somewhat between the different MS OSs. I find the simplest way to transfer files between a Knopix system and a Windows box to run an FTP server on the Windows box and then use a FTP client on Knoppix (Konquror, the browser window that open when Knoppix boots works great for this purpose). This has the added advantage of running much faster than Microsoft file sharing (why MS file sharing is so slow I don't know).
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By Aspra in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-31-2006, 06:36 PM
-
By redss in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-17-2005, 11:24 PM
-
By hernan in forum Networking
Replies: 9
Last Post: 01-14-2005, 02:42 AM
-
By bob58 in forum Networking
Replies: 43
Last Post: 10-29-2004, 05:27 AM
-
By stimz in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 09:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Yealink MP58 Cordless VoIP Conference Phone Bluetooth Handset Microsoft Teams
$105.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth
$39.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW
$399.99

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)
$17.99

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99