Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: New to Unix in General, have some questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1

    New to Unix in General, have some questions

    I have at least heard of Linux, but recently my physics teacher gave me a copy of Knoppix to look at. I really don't know much about open-source, or anything really in depth about computers for that matter, so I of course have questions.

    First, I have the KNoppix English CD version. I have not yet put it into my computer, so I don't know much about what to expect. First question is what do I need to do with my already installed programs? Will I need to reinstall all of them, and can I install all of the same programs? I'm on break from school right now, so it's not a big deal to take the time to put everything back on, but I don't want to lose a program that I'll need come January.

    Second, what happens to my existing OS? I have Microsoft XP (I'm wanting better virus protection, which is my my teacher gave me Knoppix.), so do I need to first uninstall everything, or can I just run the Knoppix off of the CD on top of what I have?

    Sorry for what must be the most riddiculous and basic questions ever, but I am a total nube when it comes to Linux. Any responses will be appriciated.

    Thanks in advance, Chris

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1
    I'm brand new too, but I can (I think) answer your questions, because I'm running from the CD right now.

    I assume your "already installed programs" are in another Operating System? (like Windowz) If that is the case they will not run when you run the Knoppix CD. But nothing will be erased, either unless you do something silly like delete files or something. You have to boot your computer from the CD. (You may have to adjust your BIOS boot order in order to do this). When the CD runs, you will get to see a whole new world (OK, that's a little overblown, but there is a lot of cool stuff).

    I've got a TON of questions that I'm going to search the forums for (like how do I save my configuration or installation of Adobe-Flash) so that I don't have to re-install it each time I boot the CD?)

    I know that I have not been much help, but hey give it a try.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    Knoppix, is a whole operating system on a CD, you have a desktop and a menu with programs, like office, (not the MS brand), browsers (firefox, konqueror), filemanagers (konqueror),texteditors (gedit, vim), mail (thunderbird), IRC, ""ICQ, MSN, Yahoo,,,"" mesengers all in one (gaim) then you have mediaplayers (xine), and much much more.

    when you reboot and remove the CD, you are back where you started, that is unless you have taken some ACTIVE steps to change things
    if you have a USBmemorystick and klick around in the menu with the penguin icon, untill you find a line with "permanent home" in it and click that you can save all your files setings there ON NEXT BOOT.
    or just use the USBstick and save things there, that is after changing it to read write in the right click menu of the icon (do NOT do this to your hard drive).
    keep asking, we enjoy helping, try to put a subject line with problem as part of it, like "" i can not get on to internet"" or ""my printer wont work"",
    then you try to describe what hardware you have, and what you have tried...

Similar Threads

  1. General Knoppix install questions
    By seshomaru samma in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 03:57 PM
  2. Some general questions
    By Wrincle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 04:12 AM
  3. New to Knoppix some general questions
    By Quip Frok in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 12:37 AM
  4. Some general questions
    By Sebastian Mares in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 12:55 PM
  5. Lots of General questions about remastering
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM picture

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM

$120.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00