Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help retrieving lost data

  1. #1

    Help retrieving lost data

    Hi All,
    I had WinXp installed, backed up the files that I thought I needed, then installed Debian. I now realized that there are some files that I missed. Does Knoppix have any utilities available to retrieve lost data such as this? The installation of Debian did not take a lot of time so I'm thinking it simply overwrote the MBR but did not format the harddrive entirely.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    PS - I'm comfortable w/ Linux & the command line, so no need for any complex howto's.

  2. #2
    Figured this out, so I guess I will follow up in case someone else comes looking... I installed "TestDisk" on my system and used PhotoRec - piece of cake. Not sure if TestDisk comes preloaded on Knoppix/STD... but if it does, your in luck.

    Cheers.

Similar Threads

  1. Retrieving data from external wd 1tb drive that failed
    By witt734 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 06:27 PM
  2. gparted cd DATA LOST
    By aprac00 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 08:27 PM
  3. HD Partitions & Data Lost-Need recovery Help
    By RGPHNX in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:23 PM
  4. access rights for data-partition lost
    By knulle in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 03:33 PM
  5. Retrieving Data from unbootable H/Drive
    By mizou in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 05:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM picture

M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM

$550.00



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B picture

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B

$299.00



HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 MEMORY picture

HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 MEMORY

$219.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$489.96