Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help retrieving lost data

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Help retrieving lost data

    Hi All,
    I had WinXp installed, backed up the files that I thought I needed, then installed Debian. I now realized that there are some files that I missed. Does Knoppix have any utilities available to retrieve lost data such as this? The installation of Debian did not take a lot of time so I'm thinking it simply overwrote the MBR but did not format the harddrive entirely.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    PS - I'm comfortable w/ Linux & the command line, so no need for any complex howto's.

  2. #2
    Figured this out, so I guess I will follow up in case someone else comes looking... I installed "TestDisk" on my system and used PhotoRec - piece of cake. Not sure if TestDisk comes preloaded on Knoppix/STD... but if it does, your in luck.

    Cheers.

Similar Threads

  1. Retrieving data from external wd 1tb drive that failed
    By witt734 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 06:27 PM
  2. gparted cd DATA LOST
    By aprac00 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 08:27 PM
  3. HD Partitions & Data Lost-Need recovery Help
    By RGPHNX in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:23 PM
  4. access rights for data-partition lost
    By knulle in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 03:33 PM
  5. Retrieving Data from unbootable H/Drive
    By mizou in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 05:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



NETGEAR GS116EPP 16-Port Gigabit PoE+ Easy Smart Switch 231W SFP picture

NETGEAR GS116EPP 16-Port Gigabit PoE+ Easy Smart Switch 231W SFP

$304.00



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99