Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help retrieving lost data

  1. #1

    Help retrieving lost data

    Hi All,
    I had WinXp installed, backed up the files that I thought I needed, then installed Debian. I now realized that there are some files that I missed. Does Knoppix have any utilities available to retrieve lost data such as this? The installation of Debian did not take a lot of time so I'm thinking it simply overwrote the MBR but did not format the harddrive entirely.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    PS - I'm comfortable w/ Linux & the command line, so no need for any complex howto's.

  2. #2
    Figured this out, so I guess I will follow up in case someone else comes looking... I installed "TestDisk" on my system and used PhotoRec - piece of cake. Not sure if TestDisk comes preloaded on Knoppix/STD... but if it does, your in luck.

    Cheers.

Similar Threads

  1. Retrieving data from external wd 1tb drive that failed
    By witt734 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 06:27 PM
  2. gparted cd DATA LOST
    By aprac00 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 08:27 PM
  3. HD Partitions & Data Lost-Need recovery Help
    By RGPHNX in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:23 PM
  4. access rights for data-partition lost
    By knulle in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 03:33 PM
  5. Retrieving Data from unbootable H/Drive
    By mizou in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 05:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive picture

Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive

$24.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$42.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00