Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: compiling tools.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3

    compiling tools.

    I would like to use knoppix to compile some open source software that I downloaded. How do I do that? I can see that it has some developer tools, but I cant figure out how to use them. I only get into something called a "shell" (I'm new to linux) and dont know what to do. I'ts only text based and nothing to click at.
    I use the CD version, not the DVD version.

    Mattias

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    I've only used the command line compiler on knoppix/linux, not any of the ide's. The
    compiler is called gcc, assuming it's c source code, and you run it from the command
    line in a terminal window. Open a terminal window and do a man on gcc. You'll get a
    lot of verbage but it's worth studying.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3
    But isn't there a compiler with a GUI on knoppix? I tried to look for gcc but didn't find it.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    77
    Gcc is built into the konsole. Check out knoppix]$ gcc -v and gcc --help and man gcc.
    Turbine said to do a man on gcc. Also you did several searches on the web for gcc -right!
    Gcc is the compiler for C programming.

    You have several editors to write and save (i.e. kate, kwrite, gvim and even notepad it's free )

    To get an IDE (Eclipse or Kdevelope)you need to download it on your HDD. However, you need to know how to partition. The DVD version has the guis.

    Again, do research on the web on the above items. Also maybe some computer books and some inst classes may help.
    gl

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    There's an ide associated with qt but you have to pay for the good stuff. KDE also has an integrated development environment which I think is entirely free but you'll have to download and install same.

Similar Threads

  1. About LVM tools
    By satimis in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 09:37 AM
  2. About VMware Tools,Thanks!!!
    By NicoS in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 03:35 AM
  3. diagnostic tools
    By Bulldog in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 02:43 PM
  4. Daemon Tools
    By sn0wflake in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 05:40 AM
  5. Web search tools?
    By Henk Poley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



OWC 8TB ThunderBlade Thunderbolt 3 NVMe RAID SSD External 8TB with Travel Case picture

OWC 8TB ThunderBlade Thunderbolt 3 NVMe RAID SSD External 8TB with Travel Case

$2800.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00