-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
mastergunner
Harry thanks for the instructions but still lost. Could you put the instructions into steps. Also what happens if I try to make it dual bootable but the hard drive is just one big partition what then? As for the internet download is that all I need for Debian and does it download and install by itself?
I'm confused by what you mean in saying you want dual boot but only one large partition. Dual boot implied multiple OSs, and each OS will usually have to be in it's own partition, so dual boot and only one partition are inconsistent. If you have Windows in one partition and unpartitioned space left on the disk then the install process will ask if you want to use the entire disk for Debian or just the empty space (and may give you other options as well including letting you manually partition to your hearts content). If you have multiple OSs on the disk the installer should set up the Grub boot manager so that it can boot any of them (just be sure to install the MS OS first, MS doesn't play well with others and will make life miserable if you install it second, but if you install it first and then a second OS like Linux, things work much better.
As to putting the instructions in steps, sorry I'm a bit too busy to write a entire tutorial on installing Debian right now, and I doubt if this is the right place to post one anyway. I do have some notes I made about a year ago, but the installer may have changed somewhat since then. I do expect that you can find some install information on the web if you search a little, or I find the best way to really learn is to try an install or two (I deliberately installed several times with different options just for the learning expeience).
Yea, if you have high speed access you should be able to just use the net-install iso to download and install everything, and then apt-get install any applications you wish (including all those included with Knoppix and many more).

Originally Posted by
mastergunner
Harry also with the net install do I burn it to cd and then boot up from the cd or what?
Yes, you got it, burn the net-install ISO, at slow speed, use a CDRW if you have one (since the current net-install CD will not be useful as soon as Etch becomes stable), everything else you need comes from the Internet.
Similar Threads
-
By ajwreinhardt in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 14
Last Post: 06-21-2006, 07:05 PM
-
By jr0d82 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-23-2006, 07:43 PM
-
By fstephens in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-21-2004, 07:57 AM
-
By viggooo in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 03:51 PM
-
By Carlos_E_Morimoto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$288.00

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00