Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How do you install printers in Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    6

    How do you install printers in Knoppix

    I have tried to install my HP Laserjet 1020 into Knoppix 5.0.1 and it says I do not have the drivers or permission. I am a newb at linux so all the help that can be given is appreciated. thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    I had that problem with the same version of knoppix. I have an epson color stylus 740, but I suspect the cause of the problem and solution are the same. The problem isn't your permissions, but the drivers list. I suspect that there are a number that are listed, but not actually present. Since you got far enough to get the message suggesting that you didn't have permissions, I will skip the steps lead to that part. See if there is an entry under ESP for HP Laserjet 1020.

    This includes a lot of drivers. Please let everyone know if this solves your problem.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    OK, you got my attention and my interest. What does "See if there is an entry under ESP" mean?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    toronto, canada
    Posts
    87
    OK, I'll start from the beginning. Please bear with me if I'm restating the obvious.

    Click on the K at the bottom left of the screen. This is the equivalent of the Windows start icon. This calls up a long list of items.

    Click on Knoppix -> Configure -> Configure Printers. This will display the KDE printer configuration utility.

    Click on Add -> Add Printer. Your path after this depends on whether you have a local or networked printer. You will get a printer model selection box. Choose ESP from this list. This contains a lot of generic printer drivers, including Epson, some HP laserjets, etc. The epson color style 740 driver wasn't present. I suspect that some other drivers may not be there either.

    When you get the test page eventually, it should have a pie chart among other things, in color if you have a color printer.

    Can both of you try the ESP options and see what happens? It would be interesting to see if there's anything in the driver list besides the ESP options. I found the ESP company website. It provides a lot of generic drivers for a myriad of printers.

Similar Threads

  1. Printers, USB and otherwise.
    By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 11:21 AM
  2. Knoppix 4 & Printers
    By ProTeus4 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 03:15 PM
  3. many printers broke in knoppix 3.4+?
    By drews in forum General Support
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 06:59 AM
  4. Knoppix/Linux and printers
    By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 10:59 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00