-
How do you install printers in Knoppix
I have tried to install my HP Laserjet 1020 into Knoppix 5.0.1 and it says I do not have the drivers or permission. I am a newb at linux so all the help that can be given is appreciated. thanks.
-
I had that problem with the same version of knoppix. I have an epson color stylus 740, but I suspect the cause of the problem and solution are the same. The problem isn't your permissions, but the drivers list. I suspect that there are a number that are listed, but not actually present. Since you got far enough to get the message suggesting that you didn't have permissions, I will skip the steps lead to that part. See if there is an entry under ESP for HP Laserjet 1020.
This includes a lot of drivers. Please let everyone know if this solves your problem.
-
Senior Member
registered user
OK, you got my attention and my interest. What does "See if there is an entry under ESP" mean?
-
OK, I'll start from the beginning. Please bear with me if I'm restating the obvious.
Click on the K at the bottom left of the screen. This is the equivalent of the Windows start icon. This calls up a long list of items.
Click on Knoppix -> Configure -> Configure Printers. This will display the KDE printer configuration utility.
Click on Add -> Add Printer. Your path after this depends on whether you have a local or networked printer. You will get a printer model selection box. Choose ESP from this list. This contains a lot of generic printer drivers, including Epson, some HP laserjets, etc. The epson color style 740 driver wasn't present. I suspect that some other drivers may not be there either.
When you get the test page eventually, it should have a pie chart among other things, in color if you have a color printer.
Can both of you try the ESP options and see what happens? It would be interesting to see if there's anything in the driver list besides the ESP options. I found the ESP company website. It provides a lot of generic drivers for a myriad of printers.
Similar Threads
-
By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-07-2006, 11:21 AM
-
By ProTeus4 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-18-2005, 03:15 PM
-
By drews in forum General Support
Replies: 32
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 06:59 AM
-
By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-28-2004, 10:59 PM
-
By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$739.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00