Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: English Knoppix 5.0.1,German menus in Konqueror and QTParted

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4

    English Knoppix 5.0.1,German menus in Konqueror and QTParted

    Hi. I wanted to install Knoppix 5.0.1 onto a partition of my computer's hard drive, all in the English language. A kind helper has provided me with two, Knoppix-5.0.1 and one Knoppix-3.8.2 installation Compact Discs (CDs). The German-instead-of-English-language problem is with the two Knoppix-5.0.1 CDs, the second of which is marked as being an English-language download. I set my Hewlett-Packard, Pavilion, ZE1110 notebook computer to boot from each of the Knoppix CDs. For the vs.-3.8.2 CD at the screen which has "boot:" on it with the computer waiting for my reply to that, typing "knoppix lang=en" worked to load the Knoppix Live CD. But on the vs.-5.0.1 CD marked as an English-language download, after typing "knoppix lang=en," the command was not recognized by the CD or computer; also nothing happened after pressing the F2 or F3 keys; also simultaneously pressing the "ctrl," "alt," and F1 keys did not move me to any new, text-only screen; neither were the commands "debug" or "knoppix testcd" recognized by the computer or CD. And before I knew that the default booting for an English-language download was in the English language, I also tried "knoppix lang)us," also without any recognition by the computer or CD. (Based on the "Hint" in the so-called "cheatcodes" description on the vs.-5.0.1 CD, I mistakenly thought the keyboard in use at the time had a German layout in which the simultaneous pressing of the shift and zero keys on my computer's keyboard would have in such a case been equivalent to the equal character on a German keyboard layout.) A possible key to the problem with vs.-5.0.1 CD is the message on the screen containing "boot:" that read "unknown keyword in config file." The only command which did anything useful for me was simply pressing my keyboard's return key after "boot:" with the Knoppix-5.0.1 Live CD.

    Afterwards I could install Knoppix 5.0.1, with either of the commands "sudo knoppix-installer" or "sudo knoppix-installer lang=en" in a terminal program, onto a partition of my computer's hard drive. This then became a Debian installation of Linux on that partition of my computer's hard drive into which I could later boot my computer. But the menus for both Konqueror (which doubles as both a Web browser and file manager) and QTParted were each in the German language when I wanted the English language. At least for Konqueror this behavior was the same for two different vs.-5.0.1 CDs. Again note: One of them was marked as an English-language download by the kind person who provided it for me. The problem could be partly solved for one of the vs.-5.0.1-CD, hard-drive loads by installing and perhaps running localepurge from the downloaded package localepurge_0.0.74.deb; I think I kept only one English-language locale. The result was an improvement in Konqueror with just a couple of headings in German on the main window of Konqueror; the rest of the text and menus in Konqueror were then in English. However, in QTParted the menus were still in the German language, as I recall.

    The first three questions in this paragraph all relate to getting Knoppix-5.0.1 menus in Konqueror and/or QTParted in English. Is there any solution at all to getting the QTParted menus in English? Is there a solution for Konqueror which does not involve localepurge? If so, what is a solution or what are the solutions? Without a good solution which I have yet found, this is an imaginable work-around set of "solutions" for people who understand English, but not much German. I imagine installing Knoppix 3.8.2 as a Debian/GNU Linux operating system on a partition of a hard drive, which as I recall did not have this language problem.--I hope this will be good for working with QTParted in English. But for using some of the recent hardware-recognition features which may be provided by vs. 5.0.1, one could use vs. 5.0.1 and perform a localepurge, choosing to leave only an English-language locale.

    Even when the QTParted menus were in the German language, I could still determine which menu item was to resize a partition, based on the size of it being reported right after selecting that menu item. It at first appeared as though I could reduce the size of my Windows-XP-loaded partition by some amount that way; but when afterwards trying to increase the size of another partition by that same amount, I found that the resize option was in gray letters so that I could not select it to attempt to make such an increase. Then after closing QTParted and then reopening it, I found that the size of the Windows-XP-loaded partition was the same as before I at least thought I had changed it; so the final result was no net change at all to any partition's size. Particularly with regard to the "graying" of the letters of the German equivalent of the English "resize," I thought this might have been an indication that QTParted was not working as it should, totally aside from the language problem I had. But another possibility is that I could be missing some things in the correct use of QTParted. Thanks in advance for anyone's helpful comments here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    1.KDE LANGUAGE LOCALE
    You need to be running KDE as root user (not <your-username>super-user) to change its root user language locale.
    At the KDE login screen, select Console login. (If connected to the internet, it is a good idea to disconnect the cable, for security, whilst running as root). Log in as root, then
    # startx
    If this is the first time, the KDE configuration wizard should start (otherwise it's available via the Menu for Control Center), and you can select your country and language.
    Then log out of KDE.
    Then log out of root; after a few moments the KDE login screen should re-appear.
    Reconnect the internet cable if applicable, and login as normal user.

    This should work for Qtparted as well as Konqueror, as they share some libraries (but see below).

    2.QTPARTED
    Knoppix 5 uses libparted1.6. It allows different levels of access different filesystems (vfat, ext2,ext3...).
    You will get increased functionality by upgrading to libparted1.7.
    If you want to keep qtparted as the front-end, upgrade qtparted to debian unstable (valid at date of posting 6 January 2006)
    An alternative to qtparted is gparted (from debian testing or unstable to use libparted1.7, as at 6 January 2006).

    3. Good luck !

Similar Threads

  1. German menus when they should be Engish
    By ozonehole in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2006, 10:07 AM
  2. knoppix 3.7 german to english
    By sonicdragon14 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-08-2004, 04:16 PM
  3. Menus for various applications in German
    By daviskacer in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 05:08 PM
  4. How to fix OpenOffice menus to English only?
    By Jack_ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-27-2004, 09:37 PM
  5. Knoppix upgrade changes English to German
    By aay in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 04:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Crucial MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1SG 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V ECC LRDIMM Server Memory picture

Crucial MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1SG 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V ECC LRDIMM Server Memory

$150.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



SK Hynix 32GB Server Memory 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-R81-11 HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH Server RAM picture

SK Hynix 32GB Server Memory 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-R81-11 HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH Server RAM

$169.99



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM picture

Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM

$74.50