Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix on External USB Drive ? Cheat codes? Use to Rescue?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3

    Knoppix on External USB Drive ? Cheat codes? Use to Rescue?

    Greetings,
    I have a hard drive I took out of an old notebook and put into an external USB enclosure. I split it into 2 partitions and knoppix sees them as sda1 and sda2. Here's what I want to do.
    1) copy Knoppix 5.0 dvd to partition 1
    2) use a Knoppix CD to boot a computer but have it use the usb drive partition 1 as the source for Knoppix
    3) install f-prot on sda2 to use to scan infected Windows machines
    4) copy files from the windows machines to sda2 to save valuable/unreplaceable data.

    Here's what I've accomplished:
    1) Using fdisk I managed to make 2 partitions and formated them as ext3 and fat32.
    2) Using tohd cheat code I managed to copy Knoppix 5.0 DVD to sda1 (at least it shows a folder saying Knoppix that has an image and a bunch of files on it!)

    Here's my stumbling blocks:
    1) I can't figure out how to get a bootable DVD or CD to use the sda1 copy rather than the DVD which is very slow. I want to use a CD to point to sda1 as many machines I work on can't boot from a USB device, don't have DVD drives but I want the capability of the DVD. Here's what I've tried at boot up:
    a) knoppix lang=en keyboard=us fromhd=/media/sda1 --result--boots from DVD
    b) knoppix lang=en keyboard=us fromhd=/mnt/sda1 /dev/sda1 -- result -- boots from DVD

    Obviously, I don't know what I'm doing. I've been using Knoppix Hacks, Hacking Knoppix books and doing some reading on forums and googling. Thanks for any suggestions.

    Tom

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Hmm,

    Try fromhd=/dev/sda1

    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    Hmm,

    Try fromhd=/dev/sda1

    HTH
    Thanks, Rusty, but that gave me back "file system not found" and dumped me to a very limited prompt.
    Tom

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by chipslayer
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    Hmm,

    Try fromhd=/dev/sda1

    HTH
    Thanks, Rusty, but that gave me back "file system not found" and dumped me to a very limited prompt.
    Tom
    it will work if you use minirt_usb6.gz instead of miniroot.gz.
    Get is here: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/minirt_usb6.gz

    /Johan

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jfitie
    Quote Originally Posted by chipslayer
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    Hmm,

    Try fromhd=/dev/sda1

    HTH
    Thanks, Rusty, but that gave me back "file system not found" and dumped me to a very limited prompt.
    Tom
    it will work if you use minirt_usb6.gz instead of miniroot.gz.
    Get is here: http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/minirt_usb6.gz

    /Johan
    Thanks Johan,
    Just clicking on the link opened it as a text file. I'll have to do some research to figure out how this applies to my situation. And the holidays are tying up lots of my time. I'll keep plugging away at it.
    Tom

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Not sure if this this will help but perhaps using the tohd method to copy the knoppix files would work better: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Basic_Poor_Mans

    Good luck.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Download the *.gz archive mentioned above.... and unzip it. Contained within is a modified Ramdisk to get you booted from a USB device.


    I use this same setup (with a HD install) (Am posting from it now infact) and LOVE IT.... best "toy" I've ever had

    Take care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

Similar Threads

  1. add cheat codes to hard drive install
    By netfun81 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 07:48 PM
  2. Knoppix Cheat Codes
    By rspiteri in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 10:49 AM
  3. Changing Knoppix Cheat Codes file
    By kunal in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 05:59 PM
  4. Knoppix 3,4 fails again...can't access "cheat codes&quo
    By alexjenx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 06:21 AM
  5. knoppix cheat codes
    By kzaty in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00