Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Firefox - how do I turn 'check for updates' on?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    38

    Firefox - how do I turn 'check for updates' on?

    I'm using knoppix 5.0 live cd and my firefox installation has the 'check for updates' button greyed out. I've used vmware's browser appliance (ubuntu) and the same thing happens with that, however I've got some code that sorts it out. The code doesn't work with knoppix though, and I was wondering if anyone knows how I can adapt it to work?

    Code:
    chown -R vmware:vmware /opt/lib/
    
    chown root:root /opt/lib/
    I've tried replacing the vmware with knoppix, but I get an error msg about the /opt/lib/ not being found. Any takers?

    TIA

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    gadgerama, not quite sure what the problem is...

    I am running FF v1.5.0.7 - Hard Drive Installed

    When I click on Edit, Preferances, go to the Advanced tab, and then the Update tab...
    under "Automatically check for updates to:" - "Firefox" is not checked, and greyed out as well - but, I do have ability to check/uncheck the options "Installed Extensions and Themes" as well as "Search Engines"

    Not sure about the chown you are doing, and not sure on the path you are using...

    If I was going to guess, it has to be either in your /home/ area for privs, or your chown should use something like root:[some group] - like users or something, and add your users to the /etc/group file to include the username in the group 'users' ? i.e. add user 'sammy' to the list in /etc/group entry 'users' - then do a chown root:users

    As it stands, I think your chown of root:root just locked out ANYONE from doing a update without being ROOT in firefox, if it did anything at all...

    Not sure if I helped, or not, or just gave you more questions?

    MS Cuddles
    -=- Come to the Dark Side, we have penguins -=-

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    29
    you have to change ownership of /usrl/lib/firefox (or wherever your firefox is installed) to the user who is running firefox.

Similar Threads

  1. Updates from Java
    By gccradioscience in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 12:16 AM
  2. Automatic Updates?
    By sdat1333 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 08:13 PM
  3. X dies on updates
    By phaedral in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 03:06 PM
  4. V3.4-2004-05-10 (small updates)
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-24-2004, 07:56 PM
  5. How to turn off checksum check at boot ?
    By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 16GB DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 ECC REG Server RAM RDIMM 2Rx4 288-Pin Memory picture

Samsung 16GB DDR4 2133MHz PC4-17000 ECC REG Server RAM RDIMM 2Rx4 288-Pin Memory

$149.00



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y picture

Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y

$699.99



SK Hynix 48GB Lot 6x8GB DDR4-2666 ECC RDIMM RAM PC4-21300 HMA81GR7CJR8N-VK picture

SK Hynix 48GB Lot 6x8GB DDR4-2666 ECC RDIMM RAM PC4-21300 HMA81GR7CJR8N-VK

$159.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98