Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: can't get IP address from Linksys WRT54G wireless router

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24

    can't get IP address from Linksys WRT54G wireless router

    I have Knoppix 5.0.1 installed on the hard-drive of my IBM ThinkPad 390 2626-70U laptop. I have a "Netgear 802.11b Wireless PC Card 16-bit PCMCIA MA401" v2.5 wireless card installed. At this point I am only using open wireless router and use DHCP to get my address from my wireless router. With my Belkin F5D7230-4 I have no trouble getting an IP address using DHCP. With my Linksys WRT54G v6 I cannot get an IP address using DHCP. I have checked my WRT54G and there are no MAC address restrictions. I have run the WRT54G with automatic speed selection (802.11b/g) as well as a fixed speed (802.11b). When I use kwifimanager it can sense the signal strength of the WRT54G, but no IP address when I request one using pump.

    Can anyone think of anything I can do to get the WRT54G to give me an IP address?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24

    Re: can't get IP address from Linksys WRT54G wireless router

    Quote Originally Posted by jbreazeale
    I have Knoppix 5.0.1 installed on the hard-drive of my IBM ThinkPad 390 2626-70U laptop. I have a "Netgear 802.11b Wireless PC Card 16-bit PCMCIA MA401" v2.5 wireless card installed. At this point I am only using open wireless router and use DHCP to get my address from my wireless router. With my Belkin F5D7230-4 I have no trouble getting an IP address using DHCP. With my Linksys WRT54G v6 I cannot get an IP address using DHCP. I have checked my WRT54G and there are no MAC address restrictions. I have run the WRT54G with automatic speed selection (802.11b/g) as well as a fixed speed (802.11b). When I use kwifimanager it can sense the signal strength of the WRT54G, but no IP address when I request one using pump.

    Can anyone think of anything I can do to get the WRT54G to give me an IP address?
    I should mention two more things about my wireless routers: The Belkin F5D7230-4 is using firmware version 4.05.03, boot version 2.01.09; the Linksys WRT54G is using firmware version 1.01.0, Sep. 14, 2006.

    One more thing (sigh): I have Windows/XP running on a Dell Latitude D520 with a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card and the Dell connects to both wireless routers and is able to obtain an IP address from both without a problem.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    I have access to same router (owned by my neighbour), I asked him if i could try, it works flawlessly for me, even tried my old Netgear 11b card, no problem, he has even same firmware, BUT it is NOT the english firmware.
    is your card working properly?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24
    My Netgear MA401 card works with my Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router. The stronger signal of the Linksys WRT54G wireless router always causes Knoppix to try to use the Linksys WRT54G when Knoppix starts, but DHCP always fails. After booting I use iwconfig to set the Belkin F5D7230-D wireless SSID for use then run pump to get an IP address. My concern with using iwconfig to set the SSID is it presumes I know the available SSIDs. Since I cannot discover the available SSIDs without a working wireless interface I have to know what's available through independent means.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24
    Linksys WRT54G firmware version 1.01.1 resolved the issue. It seems there were lots of complaints and Cisco/Linksys listened! For more information about the problem read this: http://macnewsonline.com/wp/2006/11/...t54g-dhcp-bug/

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 05:46 AM
  2. can not conect to linksys router
    By ranmaaaron in forum Networking
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-01-2006, 10:31 AM
  3. Wireless Card not aquiring and IP Address
    By murphyjones11 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2005, 08:05 PM
  4. How to get IP address for wireless card
    By xaviers2002 in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 12:59 AM
  5. wireless mac address lookup
    By hnugz in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 12:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025

$22.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



Dell Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0023 4TB 7200 RPM 3.5

Dell Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0023 4TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive

$39.99



Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive picture

Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive

$63.99



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION* picture

Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*

$319.79



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$69.00



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99