I have tried to install my HP Laserjet 1020 into Knoppix 5.0.1 and it says I do not have the drivers or permission. I am a newb at linux so all the help that can be given is appreciated. thanks.
I have tried to install my HP Laserjet 1020 into Knoppix 5.0.1 and it says I do not have the drivers or permission. I am a newb at linux so all the help that can be given is appreciated. thanks.
I had that problem with the same version of knoppix. I have an epson color stylus 740, but I suspect the cause of the problem and solution are the same. The problem isn't your permissions, but the drivers list. I suspect that there are a number that are listed, but not actually present. Since you got far enough to get the message suggesting that you didn't have permissions, I will skip the steps lead to that part. See if there is an entry under ESP for HP Laserjet 1020.
This includes a lot of drivers. Please let everyone know if this solves your problem.
OK, you got my attention and my interest. What does "See if there is an entry under ESP" mean?
OK, I'll start from the beginning. Please bear with me if I'm restating the obvious.
Click on the K at the bottom left of the screen. This is the equivalent of the Windows start icon. This calls up a long list of items.
Click on Knoppix -> Configure -> Configure Printers. This will display the KDE printer configuration utility.
Click on Add -> Add Printer. Your path after this depends on whether you have a local or networked printer. You will get a printer model selection box. Choose ESP from this list. This contains a lot of generic printer drivers, including Epson, some HP laserjets, etc. The epson color style 740 driver wasn't present. I suspect that some other drivers may not be there either.
When you get the test page eventually, it should have a pie chart among other things, in color if you have a color printer.
Can both of you try the ESP options and see what happens? It would be interesting to see if there's anything in the driver list besides the ESP options. I found the ESP company website. It provides a lot of generic drivers for a myriad of printers.

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$449.99
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge R430 6-Bay 2-SATA SSD Server 2.40Ghz E5-2680v4 14-Core 32GB RAM
$527.95
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
Dell PowerVault DL2200 2x Xeon E5620 24GB RAM H700 2x500GB SAS RAID1
$199.00