Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Display Errors, 640x480 resolution only

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6

    Display Errors, 640x480 resolution only

    Hello,

    I have previously used Knoppix successfully on on older computer, but I'm having some problems on a newer one.

    Immediately after the boot prompt, I get "You have passed an undefined mode number.." no mater what I pick it continues booting. Once x windows starts, the display is 'stuck' in 640x480 mode, taking up only the middle part of the screen, with vertical blue stripes covering the entire screen, both the display area and the black areas around it.

    From the end of the startup log (using ctrl+alt+F1) I have:

    Video is Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device, using Xorg(vesa) Server.
    Monitor is Generic Monitor, H:28.0-96.0kHz, V:50.0-75.0Hz
    Using Modes "1024x768" "800"x600" "640x480"

    I have tried several 'cheat codes', including "screen=1024x768" and "fb1024x768" but it's always the same.

    Also, after looking at any of the console displays, trying to return to x windows (ctrl+alt+F5) gives me a completely black screen with blue stripes, no response to mouse of keyboard.

    Thanks.

    Edit: I suppose I should note, also, that when WinXP was installed on this computer, all of the resolutions worked fine, including 640x480 and 1024x768.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    vesa is the old old standard that is one step above vga/cga/xga
    it woul dbe very basic

    you would have a lates greatest chipset that knoppix doesn't know about

    but i'd say that a generic intel 810/815 might work sufficiently

    check in
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you have it installed
    or something close to that for ideas on what to do next ....

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6
    Yes, I can tell.

    I wouldn't exactly call it latest and greatest, the computer is 3 years old now, and it was cheap when I got it.

    I don't have knoppix installed, but I can look at the xorg.conf file, and I have a usb driver I could store the settings on, if that would work.

    Unfortunately I don't configure linux systems very often myself, where would I look for more information?


    Also, I managed to 'convince' knoppix to configure to (fbdev) with the 'cheat-codes', but that looks even worse, the blue stripes remain, and the image flickers noticable.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6
    I happened to find an old knoppix disk today, so I decided to try it.

    Knoppix 3.8.1: It recognized and loaded my display perfectly; !024x768 and filling the entire screen.

    Unfortunately, it didn't recognize my keyboard or mouse, preventing me from doing anything with the wonderful display.

    So how did Knoppix lose compatibility in the newer versions?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Try editing your xorg.conf to use the i810 driver.... this works very well for me


    towards the bottom....look for the entry that says "vesa" and change it to i810.....your mileage may vary but this worked for me on several systems..

    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

Similar Threads

  1. i do not have resolution better than 640x480
    By Yakovcs in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 05:58 PM
  2. i cant change resolution! it aways loads 640x480!!
    By lucasmatos in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 03:58 PM
  3. Any way to customize 1280x960i resolution and 640x480 tty?
    By IsaacKuo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 02:51 PM
  4. Vibrating display running at any resolution in X (Newbie).
    By SmallFlyingHippo in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 03:39 AM
  5. Vibrating display running at any resolution in X (Newbie).
    By SmallFlyingHippo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 05:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Collector Gold Cap chip board (ME) picture

Vintage Collector Gold Cap chip board (ME)

$300.00



IBM 3270 Keyboard Beam Spring - With Manual - Vintage Rare Beamspring picture

IBM 3270 Keyboard Beam Spring - With Manual - Vintage Rare Beamspring

$3000.00



Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard  picture

Vintage Epson Apex Plus AP3001A Dual 360K Disk Drives PC w/ Epson Apex Keyboard

$249.95



Vintage IBM ThinkPad T41 2373-7JU Pentium M Laptop Untested Parts/Repair No AC picture

Vintage IBM ThinkPad T41 2373-7JU Pentium M Laptop Untested Parts/Repair No AC

$35.00



Vintage Gold Cap chip collector board (ME) picture

Vintage Gold Cap chip collector board (ME)

$200.00



Intel 1302 White ceramic vintage collectable chip  ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

Intel 1302 White ceramic vintage collectable chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$250.00



Multiple LSI Gold Cap chip vintage collectable circuit board (ME) picture

Multiple LSI Gold Cap chip vintage collectable circuit board (ME)

$350.00



Intel C1702AD White ceramic vintage collectable chip  ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

Intel C1702AD White ceramic vintage collectable chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$250.00



Dell Inspiron E1505 Vintage Laptop – Windows XP – Working picture

Dell Inspiron E1505 Vintage Laptop – Windows XP – Working

$50.00



Dell Inspiron 8100 Vintage 1GHz 512MB GeForce2 Win 98SE Serial Parallel CDRW+FDD picture

Dell Inspiron 8100 Vintage 1GHz 512MB GeForce2 Win 98SE Serial Parallel CDRW+FDD

$160.00