Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Display Errors, 640x480 resolution only

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6

    Display Errors, 640x480 resolution only

    Hello,

    I have previously used Knoppix successfully on on older computer, but I'm having some problems on a newer one.

    Immediately after the boot prompt, I get "You have passed an undefined mode number.." no mater what I pick it continues booting. Once x windows starts, the display is 'stuck' in 640x480 mode, taking up only the middle part of the screen, with vertical blue stripes covering the entire screen, both the display area and the black areas around it.

    From the end of the startup log (using ctrl+alt+F1) I have:

    Video is Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device, using Xorg(vesa) Server.
    Monitor is Generic Monitor, H:28.0-96.0kHz, V:50.0-75.0Hz
    Using Modes "1024x768" "800"x600" "640x480"

    I have tried several 'cheat codes', including "screen=1024x768" and "fb1024x768" but it's always the same.

    Also, after looking at any of the console displays, trying to return to x windows (ctrl+alt+F5) gives me a completely black screen with blue stripes, no response to mouse of keyboard.

    Thanks.

    Edit: I suppose I should note, also, that when WinXP was installed on this computer, all of the resolutions worked fine, including 640x480 and 1024x768.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    vesa is the old old standard that is one step above vga/cga/xga
    it woul dbe very basic

    you would have a lates greatest chipset that knoppix doesn't know about

    but i'd say that a generic intel 810/815 might work sufficiently

    check in
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you have it installed
    or something close to that for ideas on what to do next ....

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6
    Yes, I can tell.

    I wouldn't exactly call it latest and greatest, the computer is 3 years old now, and it was cheap when I got it.

    I don't have knoppix installed, but I can look at the xorg.conf file, and I have a usb driver I could store the settings on, if that would work.

    Unfortunately I don't configure linux systems very often myself, where would I look for more information?


    Also, I managed to 'convince' knoppix to configure to (fbdev) with the 'cheat-codes', but that looks even worse, the blue stripes remain, and the image flickers noticable.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6
    I happened to find an old knoppix disk today, so I decided to try it.

    Knoppix 3.8.1: It recognized and loaded my display perfectly; !024x768 and filling the entire screen.

    Unfortunately, it didn't recognize my keyboard or mouse, preventing me from doing anything with the wonderful display.

    So how did Knoppix lose compatibility in the newer versions?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Try editing your xorg.conf to use the i810 driver.... this works very well for me


    towards the bottom....look for the entry that says "vesa" and change it to i810.....your mileage may vary but this worked for me on several systems..

    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

Similar Threads

  1. i do not have resolution better than 640x480
    By Yakovcs in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 05:58 PM
  2. i cant change resolution! it aways loads 640x480!!
    By lucasmatos in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 03:58 PM
  3. Any way to customize 1280x960i resolution and 640x480 tty?
    By IsaacKuo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 02:51 PM
  4. Vibrating display running at any resolution in X (Newbie).
    By SmallFlyingHippo in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 03:39 AM
  5. Vibrating display running at any resolution in X (Newbie).
    By SmallFlyingHippo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 05:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 870 EVO 1TB, 2.5 inch Internal SSD picture

Samsung 870 EVO 1TB, 2.5 inch Internal SSD

$135.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9" 128GB Silver Wi-Fi SM-X400NZSAXAR

$206.00



SAMSUNG XE310XBA Chromebook 4 11.6

SAMSUNG XE310XBA Chromebook 4 11.6" Intel N4020 4GB 32GB CLEAN UP TO DATE X3 LOT

$89.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM88-NG-1 RAM IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab A11+ picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM88-NG-1 RAM IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab A11+

$119.49



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



8/10 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active4 Pro SM-T638 128GB, Wi-Fi 5G Unlocked 10.1 BLACK picture

8/10 Samsung Galaxy Tab Active4 Pro SM-T638 128GB, Wi-Fi 5G Unlocked 10.1 BLACK

$339.00