Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Booting from 2GB USB Memory key

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5

    Booting from 2GB USB Memory key

    Has anyone managed to create a bootable knoppix 2GB Memory key?

    I tried folllowing the wiki document to create bootable USB key but get the following message "syslinux: this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesystem". The message appears when I run the "syslinux -s /dev/sda4" command. I used the following mkdiskimage command to partition and format the key: "mkdiskimage -4 /dev/sda 0 255 63

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15
    Hi,

    add the -F-switch to the commandline.

    So your command looks like: mkdiskimage -F -4 /dev/sda 0 255 63

    This formats the device with FAT32.

    Hope that helps.
    AugustQ

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5
    thanks, tried that but it made no difference

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    50
    Weird, I don't know what to say.

    What were the exact mkdiskimage and syslinux command lines you tried?

    Try "dmesg", are there any errors mentioned at the bottom of all the messages there?

    Maybe try this. This should fit comfortably in 2GB. I don't have a 2GB USB key, so haven't tested it:

    mkdiskimage -4 /dev/sdz 0 128 32
    syslinux -s /dev/sdz4

    If that doesn't work, maybe you're hitting the 2GB FAT16 limitation. Try FAT32:

    mkdiskimage -F -4 /dev/sdz 0 128 32
    syslinux -s /dev/sdz4

    There's no change in the "syslinux" command for FAT16 vs. FAT32. It *should* autodetect. It seems that syslinux depends on mtools. I hope the Knoppix mtools is up to date....

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5
    Hi, I tried both those mkdiskimage commands and still get the same message on the syslinux -s command (SYSLINUX: this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesystem).

    The exact mkdiskimage command I used first time around is in my original post.

    I'm not sure how to check if mtools is up to date, I've only just downloaded 5.0.1 in the last couple of weeks though...

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl
    Hi, I tried both those mkdiskimage commands and still get the same message on the syslinux -s command (SYSLINUX: this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesystem).

    The exact mkdiskimage command I used first time around is in my original post.

    I'm not sure how to check if mtools is up to date, I've only just downloaded 5.0.1 in the last couple of weeks though...
    Strange.

    Maybe try narrowing it down, in order to rule out a size limitation.

    Try this:

    mkdiskimage -4 /dev/sdz 1023 64 32

    This will deliberately waste all but the first 1GB of space on your USB key. It will format the partition to a size of just under 1GB, only.

    Then, see if syslinux can recognize this partition.
    Hopefully there's not a sizing bug in mkdiskimage or syslinux somewhere.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    5
    Tried that and still getting the same error. Syslinux seems to be completely un-interested in the memory key.

    fdisk reports the key is partitioned as follows:

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda4 * 1 1023 4190144 6 FAT16

    I'd like to get this working but it looks like I might have to give up and go get a 1GB key which has been proven to work.

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Knoppix from a USB memory key in VMWare
    By grantonstar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2006, 07:53 AM
  2. Memory not enough!
    By phiji in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-30-2006, 05:40 AM
  3. Error booting with 256 Mb memory
    By junwen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 10:59 AM
  4. Is my memory Gone?!
    By PCalitracck in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 03:04 AM
  5. 1 GB memory boot ISO image run entirely from memory?
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth picture

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth

$39.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95