Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: German Terminal

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2

    German Terminal

    Hi,
    I'm rather new to Linux, but have foundation skills. I recently HD Installed Knoppix 5.0 to my laptop working through a German knoppix-installer on the basis that after installation I could revert my language back to english. First problem I encountered was logging in under a German keyboard layout, for which I was forced to download a German Keyboard layout. After which I was able to access the KDE Control Centre and set my language to English for the KDE. This worked well and MOST KDE applications now display in english, with a few still starting in German (Ndiswrapper config, netcardconfig, etc) However, using terminal or konsole still returns manual files in german and all errors in german, as is the case in the login screen. I have changed the settings in /etc/default/locale to lang_en_US.
    Is there any command I can run, or operation I can preform to set Knoppix to default english and US Keyboard layout?
    Thankyou in advance

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    check the
    Knoppix
    Control Center
    System Administration
    Login Manager
    Administrative Mode
    Locale - Language

    that field is not set to anything by default
    and the top of the list is the Germanic language
    change it to the second option

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Maybe this is too obvious.... but be sure you are passing the lang=us option through your bootloader.

    easy way to check:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    will display all of the bootflags that were passed to the kernel


    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2
    Thankyou for your help,
    After trying both methods, and still struggling with German I just reinstalled knoppix with the correct cheatcodes,
    However, your replies are much appreciated

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix-STD - only comes with german keyboard? (german.kbd)
    By chaosnine in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2017, 08:53 PM
  2. root terminal has german menu commands in english ver 5.1
    By jmcculley in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 02:02 PM
  3. German
    By gatorhunter in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 12:44 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
  5. [announce] S-terminal: a secure X terminal based on KNOPPIX
    By bkw1a in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 12K PROM/RAM Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8

Vintage Digital Research ZSID 1.4 8" Floppy Disk CP/M Z80 Software S-100 Altair

$69.99



S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Industrial Micro Systems 8K Static Ram (IMS, Altair, IMSAI)

$69.95



Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board) picture

Altair MITS S100 Backplane 8080A S-100 Replica IMSAI CP/M (bare board)

$40.00



BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8

BYTE Magazine Cover Jan 1977 Canvas Print 8"x10" Retro Computer Altair 880

$7.00



TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board  picture

TDL “the ZPU” rev 1 February 1977 s100 cpu board

$345.00



S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI) picture

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)

$34.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00



1976 Microprocessors Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE MC6800 Rockwell PPS-4 picture

1976 Microprocessors Intel C4004 8008 CDP1802 IMP-16 PACE MC6800 Rockwell PPS-4

$39.99