Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: German Terminal

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2

    German Terminal

    Hi,
    I'm rather new to Linux, but have foundation skills. I recently HD Installed Knoppix 5.0 to my laptop working through a German knoppix-installer on the basis that after installation I could revert my language back to english. First problem I encountered was logging in under a German keyboard layout, for which I was forced to download a German Keyboard layout. After which I was able to access the KDE Control Centre and set my language to English for the KDE. This worked well and MOST KDE applications now display in english, with a few still starting in German (Ndiswrapper config, netcardconfig, etc) However, using terminal or konsole still returns manual files in german and all errors in german, as is the case in the login screen. I have changed the settings in /etc/default/locale to lang_en_US.
    Is there any command I can run, or operation I can preform to set Knoppix to default english and US Keyboard layout?
    Thankyou in advance

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    check the
    Knoppix
    Control Center
    System Administration
    Login Manager
    Administrative Mode
    Locale - Language

    that field is not set to anything by default
    and the top of the list is the Germanic language
    change it to the second option

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Maybe this is too obvious.... but be sure you are passing the lang=us option through your bootloader.

    easy way to check:
    Code:
    cat /proc/cmdline
    will display all of the bootflags that were passed to the kernel


    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2
    Thankyou for your help,
    After trying both methods, and still struggling with German I just reinstalled knoppix with the correct cheatcodes,
    However, your replies are much appreciated

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix-STD - only comes with german keyboard? (german.kbd)
    By chaosnine in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-03-2017, 08:53 PM
  2. root terminal has german menu commands in english ver 5.1
    By jmcculley in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 02:02 PM
  3. German
    By gatorhunter in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 12:44 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
  5. [announce] S-terminal: a secure X terminal based on KNOPPIX
    By bkw1a in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Apple Mouse IIc Box Only Vintage 1985 picture

Original Apple Mouse IIc Box Only Vintage 1985

$40.00



Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW picture

Rare Vintage Sanyo MBC-1150 Terminal With Keyboard CPM2.2 — Boots - DW

$1000.00



Vintage AT&T 6312 WGS COMPUTER 386 POWERS ON & Complete picture

Vintage AT&T 6312 WGS COMPUTER 386 POWERS ON & Complete

$249.95



NEW* AMD Athlon 2.5GHz 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games picture

NEW* AMD Athlon 2.5GHz 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games

$349.00



Vintage DB25 4 Port Data Transfer Switch Box 25 Pin Computer Printer with Cables picture

Vintage DB25 4 Port Data Transfer Switch Box 25 Pin Computer Printer with Cables

$49.99



Vintage 1980’s Apple Macintosh Laptop Carrying Case, Rainbow Logo, NEW picture

Vintage 1980’s Apple Macintosh Laptop Carrying Case, Rainbow Logo, NEW

$129.95



Vintage PTI-217 Multi I/O ISA Controller Card Serial Parallel Floppy VLSI Card picture

Vintage PTI-217 Multi I/O ISA Controller Card Serial Parallel Floppy VLSI Card

$100.00



Vintage Deloitte Black 9

Vintage Deloitte Black 9" Tablet Sleeve & Stand *NEW* [Case]

$39.95



Zilog Z8000 CPU Programmer's Reference Guide April 1981 Vintage Tech Manual Rare picture

Zilog Z8000 CPU Programmer's Reference Guide April 1981 Vintage Tech Manual Rare

$48.66



Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E picture

Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E

$139.99