Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Updating my Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6

    Updating my Knoppix

    I have Windows and a really old version of Knoppix on my computer at the moment, how do I overwrite the old version of Knoppix with this new version I have on the disc?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    try
    apt-get dist-upgrade

    will probably take a while with a lot of downloading, not recommended for dial-up

    the easy way would be to get a newer iso and do a fresh install, but you prolly have data and settings
    and don't want to go through all that again

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6
    Well, as my Knoppix is about 2 years old I have a problem. I cannot get root access, I go to the terminal and type in "su" (without the ") but I cannot remember the password. Is there any way to retrieve it or get past it?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    there is a work around for that
    but after reading other posts and looking at my own system, it will depend on what you want to upgrade

    I have 5.0.1
    and the latest KDE is now in after the apt-get
    but my linux is still 2.6.17

    5.1.0 will be 2.6.19, so....

    do you need KDE and other bits upgraded or do you want the latest linux kernel.
    I'd say just save what you want to somewhere safe
    and install the new one
    i'll be trying this tomorrow, sleep time

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6
    Well. I have a older version of Knoppix (I think its 4.0 or something like that). I just want to upgrade it to the newest version if thats possible, but I do not know the root password to it.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    if you were in the boot cd you don't have one
    and there is a way to set it
    but if it's installed you need the password to login
    and to get to a su shell
    uhm ....

    you might just have to do the
    save important stuff and re-install over
    and hope it gets set properly during the install

    or install with a format
    i'm trying the install over today, if I get my act together
    to see if it formats and other stuff

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6
    Sorry for asking, but how do I install over it?

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    well, i just did it
    and it didn't install over
    it's install instead

    it didn't say it was formatting at the start but it looks like a fresh clean install

    boot the cd
    usual knoppix-installer

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6
    I have booted the CD and typed in knoppix-installer but this comes up "The installer detected that the installation requirements are not fullfilled yet.

    Please make sure that you have a free partition with at least 2 gf to install knoppix on. Also we need a swap partition with at least 128 mb, if you dont have 512 mb memory or more. In the following menu, you can start some tools to partition your harddrive.
    If you really really know what you are doing start with: IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer to avoid the menu."

    How do I delete the original Knoppix on my computer to make more space?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    well, you are going to have to kill it
    so get your stuff you want backed up to another computer

    and between qparted in the gui and cfdisk for the dos screen
    you can usually get the old partitions gone and set it up properly for the new set

Similar Threads

  1. Updating Knoppix 5.1.1
    By DiscipleDOC in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 10:27 AM
  2. error when updating knoppix packets
    By bachinbeach in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 01:37 PM
  3. Updating MySQL in Knoppix
    By PlatinumPlus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 10:17 AM
  4. Updating Menus in Knoppix 3.4?
    By raid517 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 12:40 PM
  5. Updating knoppix
    By lussac in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



Intel Core Ultra 7 265K 3.9GHz LGA 1851 Processor  picture

Intel Core Ultra 7 265K 3.9GHz LGA 1851 Processor

$249.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00