Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: mkbootdev and rw access to USB key

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2

    mkbootdev and rw access to USB key

    I ran the mkbootdev script to create a bootable USB key, and it worked perfectly. I can boot from the USB key without any problems and I can see the files that the script created on the USB key in Linux and Windows; however, I would like to make the USB key read-write so I can save files on it while running Knoppix. I tried the 'mount -o remount,rw /cdrom; mount --bind /cdrom /mnt/sdb1' instructions listed in http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key (with the device name changed to match the one listed by Knoppix for my USB key) and it appeared that I was able to write to the device. Unfortunately, when I rebooted my computer it did not recognize the USB device as bootable, and I could not read any of the files in Linux or Windows. Is there a difference between the way the mkbootdev script works and the Bootable_USB_Key instructions that would cause the USB key to be unbootable after writing to it, or am I using the wrong mount commands? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    50

    Re: mkbootdev and rw access to USB key

    Quote Originally Posted by leeja
    I ran the mkbootdev script to create a bootable USB key, and it worked perfectly. I can boot from the USB key without any problems and I can see the files that the script created on the USB key in Linux and Windows; however, I would like to make the USB key read-write so I can save files on it while running Knoppix. I tried the 'mount -o remount,rw /cdrom; mount --bind /cdrom /mnt/sdb1' instructions listed in http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key (with the device name changed to match the one listed by Knoppix for my USB key) and it appeared that I was able to write to the device. Unfortunately, when I rebooted my computer it did not recognize the USB device as bootable, and I could not read any of the files in Linux or Windows. Is there a difference between the way the mkbootdev script works and the Bootable_USB_Key instructions that would cause the USB key to be unbootable after writing to it, or am I using the wrong mount commands? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Those mount instructions are good for only one bootup only. They are only good for your current Knoppix session. Once you shut down and reboot, they will be lost, and you will have to give the mount instructions again the next time. The mount instructions do NOT affect how your USB key will be recognized and booted up. Maybe if you made a mistake while the USB key is mounted read/write, and erased some important files that are necessary for booting up, but this is not very likely.

    As for getting your computer to recognize your USB key when booting up, that is the hardest part. It's all about the BIOS. On the Bootable_USB_Key page, there are a sequence of steps you can try, near the bottom of the page. Please try ALL of them.

    My computer is weird in that it will only recognize a USB key when turned on from a cold start (power off completely then power on). My computer will NOT recognize a USB key at all when just rebooted, either from software or from hitting the reset button! Strange.

    There are other quirks in other computers, I have found. One computer at my work will recognize FAT16 only, and not boot from FAT32-formatted USB keys, at all, even if everything else is identical (same size, same partition layout, same boot sector). I have noticed the mkbootdev script always uses FAT32. That is at least one difference I have found.

    So, please try ALL of the suggestions listed. Many computers have quirks like these.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't access my HD
    By Fortier in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 11:53 PM
  2. USB-Installation with mkbootdev - How to boot with grub?
    By nitric in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 07:54 PM
  3. Anyone tried 5.1.0 mkbootdev USB key install yet?
    By Krellan2 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2007, 04:09 AM
  4. DVD + FDD can't Access.
    By TheCyberDude in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2003, 08:39 PM
  5. HD access possible?
    By cehjohnson in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 10:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$175.00



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



Dell Optiplex 5080 Intel Core i5 10th Gen 8GB RAM No Drive/OS USFF Desktop picture

Dell Optiplex 5080 Intel Core i5 10th Gen 8GB RAM No Drive/OS USFF Desktop

$125.75



Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675) picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)

$125.96



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



Dell OptiPlex 3050 (256 GB SSD, Intel Core i5 7th gen, 8 GB RAM) Working picture

Dell OptiPlex 3050 (256 GB SSD, Intel Core i5 7th gen, 8 GB RAM) Working

$49.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor…. picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….

$309.99



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$189.99



Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$177.21