Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Observations About 5.10

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    35

    Observations About 5.10

    I've been playing w/ 5.10 continuously on two desktops for a day and have some things working well w/ the stock distro CD. Congrats ! I have one real criticism: NO log files. Nothing gets logged to /var/log/messages, not even DHCP daemon status msgs, which really shud be there. Moreover, there's no log of what happens on screen at boot time, that is, the colored text coming from the init script. Something is going wrong when KNOPPIX is restoring from my saved config. Most of the KDE settings are being preserved, but most of the files I've been putting into /home/knoppix for configuring my WiFi card have to be copied over from my hdrive again and again. While typing this, I remembered the virtual display hot-keys, so I could actually go back to initial display and look at the init msgs. Still, logging everything to text files is one of those great features that makes Linux better than Windows.

    I also noticed that for all of the stuf in this distro, there's no DHCPCD. While testing, I had to switch to a diff router. Suddenly, Knoppix wouldn't access the 'Net. Turns out /etc/resolv.conf needed to be updated, but no DHCPCD. By the time I figured out what was going on, I'd already rebooted.

    All of this is minor stuff, but DHCPCD really should be part of the stock system. Anyway, good luck and keep up the good work. I'm going back to my work....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Posts
    118
    For me the experience has not been very good as samba keeps on crashing.It was working perfectly fine with 5.0.1 and previous versions.
    Samba is very critical for me and hence I have chosen to stick with 5.1.0

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by patelbhavesh
    For me the experience has not been very good as samba keeps on crashing.It was working perfectly fine with 5.0.1 and previous versions.
    Samba is very critical for me and hence I have chosen to stick with 5.1.0
    I'm sorry to hear that. That's bizarre, as I've (manually) setup several Samba servers and can't imagine what could cause instability.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    do the get-apt update
    get the later samba 3.0.23d

    it configs at /etc/samba
    and controls from /etc/init.d/samba

    and it worked with my windows straight away shoing in the network browser

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by patelbhavesh
    For me the experience has not been very good as samba keeps on crashing.It was working perfectly fine with 5.0.1 and previous versions.
    Samba is very critical for me and hence I have chosen to stick with 5.1.0
    Ok figured out what the problem was by searching.
    here is the link which describes the solution for the crash of samba
    http://lists.zerezo.com/samba/msg21137.html
    now there are only 2 problems remaining
    1> that on my LCD i get very very large fonts and the screen/menus are unusable.
    2> if you run the screen command it gives an error "Directory '/var/run/screen' must have mode 777."
    The 2> error started happenng from version 5.x of knoppix.It was working fine in all previous versions.

Similar Threads

  1. NooB observations
    By Kram in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 01:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B picture

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B

$299.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM picture

M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM

$550.00