-
Observations About 5.10
I've been playing w/ 5.10 continuously on two desktops for a day and have some things working well w/ the stock distro CD. Congrats ! I have one real criticism: NO log files. Nothing gets logged to /var/log/messages, not even DHCP daemon status msgs, which really shud be there. Moreover, there's no log of what happens on screen at boot time, that is, the colored text coming from the init script. Something is going wrong when KNOPPIX is restoring from my saved config. Most of the KDE settings are being preserved, but most of the files I've been putting into /home/knoppix for configuring my WiFi card have to be copied over from my hdrive again and again. While typing this, I remembered the virtual display hot-keys, so I could actually go back to initial display and look at the init msgs. Still, logging everything to text files is one of those great features that makes Linux better than Windows.
I also noticed that for all of the stuf in this distro, there's no DHCPCD. While testing, I had to switch to a diff router. Suddenly, Knoppix wouldn't access the 'Net. Turns out /etc/resolv.conf needed to be updated, but no DHCPCD. By the time I figured out what was going on, I'd already rebooted.
All of this is minor stuff, but DHCPCD really should be part of the stock system. Anyway, good luck and keep up the good work. I'm going back to my work....
Similar Threads
-
By Kram in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-19-2004, 01:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$169.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$368.00

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell R740 Server Diskless Config 2x Silver 4110 &1100W AC P/S 3 Riser No RAM/HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S
$660.00

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1100.00