Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: USB boot problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4

    USB boot problem

    Hi, I tried to make my usb 1gb clip bootable by using this tutorial and Knoppix 5.01
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758

    After loading the bios and while booting from usb i only get a black screen with an white cursor and nothing else happens.

    Could anyone please help me?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    50
    I have an online tutorial for making bootable 1GB USB keys that seem to work well for Knoppix 5.0.1:

    http://knoppix.net/wiki/Bootable_USB_Key

    Might try this and see if you have any better luck.

    I have not updated these instructions for Knoppix 5.1.0, though.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    Thank you! This looks very nice but I always get an error message when running syslinux

    syslinux -s /dev/sda1
    syslinux: this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesystem

    Don't know what to do...

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettaman
    Thank you! This looks very nice but I always get an error message when running syslinux

    syslinux -s /dev/sda1
    syslinux: this doesn't look like a valid FAT filesystem

    Don't know what to do...
    A lot of people are having that problem recently.

    BTW, did you include the -4 flag in your mkdiskimage command? Then, you would need to use /dev/sda4 to go along with it, not /dev/sda1.

    I'm guessing your USB key is 2GB or larger?

    I'm trying to sort out what's causing the problem with large USB keys. Having no luck, as of yet.

    Have you tried the new mkbootdev script in the new Knoppix 5.1.0?

    Josh

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    My USB key is 1GB and I included the -4 flag. I tried the syslinux command with sda1 and sda4 but when trying with sda4 I get an error message like "unknown drive" or something. Later I will try out mkbootdev... perhabs this will work.

    Thank you!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4
    I tried out the mkbootdev script... it looks nice and after a while I got an message saying my USB was made bootable but when I try to boot from it I only see "Boot error" on the screen...

Similar Threads

  1. boot problem
    By sonsrey in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 03:49 PM
  2. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  3. Problem: GX620 boot from CD problem
    By sid_galt in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 10:02 PM
  4. USB Boot problem
    By codeforge in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 05:06 PM
  5. Boot problem
    By SK in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 3 13.3” FHD Laptop Intel i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 3 13.3” FHD Laptop Intel i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$299.85



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99