Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: saveconfig not helping very much

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8

    saveconfig not helping very much

    Hello. I am new to this linux stuff but I have successfully gotten my Toshiba 2775 working with Knoppix and my wireless card works, thanks to previous posters who had similar problems.

    Had to use an older b card, my g card wouldn't even light up. Glad I kept it!

    In order to get my laptop going ( I also run off an iso on my harddrive), I have to type in several things at the boot prompt and also have to manually configure the wireless card each time. I was hoping that saving the config to a USB drive would eliminate all that typing, but it didn't help at all. It didn't remember:

    1) the fb1024x768
    2) the bootfrom
    3) the network config including the WEP key
    4) the 'pump' command to connect to the network

    Anyhow, I will look around to see if other people have gotten around these issues. Of course, if people know that this isn't possible, please let me know and save me some searching.

    Happy New Year to you,
    IMF

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    11
    I'm pretty new as well, but I have successfully remastered to eliminate the need to type in cheat codes every time I boot.

    You're right that saveconfig will not save the cheat codes, you have to remaster. But it's not as bad as it sounds. Just follow the procedure under Documentation>Remastering Knoppix on this site. You can skip most of the customizing instructions and only change the file that executes the cheat codes. I can't remember the name of the file but it's not hard to find. Just add the cheat codes you want to use to the "default" section. I believe they can be enetered just as you would type them at the boot prompt.

    Copying the system files and the compression steps take awhile, but otherwise it's fairly painless. Once you have the ISO file you can burn the CD using KDE. But if, like me, you only have one CD drive you have to first reboot with the "tohd" cheatcode; otherwise the CD drive will not be released for you to put in the blank CD.

    If there's a script you want to run as the last part of the bootup process, just put it in home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart. I believe the contents of this directory WILL be saved by saveconfig.

Similar Threads

  1. Helping a newbie with RPM Packages =)
    By YukiŽ in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 07:27 PM
  2. saveconfig asking for password
    By rebooter04 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 06:06 AM
  3. saveconfig problem
    By haris in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 07:41 AM
  4. saveconfig doesn't work
    By henla464 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 09:59 PM
  5. saveconfig parameters??
    By siebert in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 08:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram picture

Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram

$960.00



Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS picture

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS

$249.98



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On picture

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On

$450.00