Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: ERROR MESSAGES & SYSTEM HALTS

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9

    ERROR MESSAGES & SYSTEM HALTS

    When I try to boot from 5.1 Live CD on my desktop system, I get the following error messages:
    "ERROR: Cannot unite read-only media and initial ramdisk. Shutdown: HDB. Shutdown: HDA. System halted." Then it says:
    "Read only CD system sucessfully merged with read-write /ramdisk. LINUXRC: cannot create /var/run/utmp: directory nonexistent filesystem could mount root; tried: reiserfs ext3 ext2 msdos vfat iso9660 fuseblk rnel panic - not syncing; vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (1, 3)"

    I haven't got a clue what that means...I hope it makes sense to somebody here.

    I've tried several of the cheatcodes without luck. I know the Live CD is good 'cause it works perfectly on a Toshiba notebook.

    I'm using a P3 450 with an Intel SE440BX-2 MB & 256MB memory. Burner is an HP CD Writer + 8200. As I said, there isn't a problem booting the CD on the notebook just the desktop.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I can't say if this is your problem, but I've seen reports of this happening on high speed burns. Also, if you downloaded from a mirror rather than BitTorrent, did you confirm the md5 sum before burning?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    9
    It was a low speed burn and the MD5 sums matched. The CD works just fine on the other computer.

Similar Threads

  1. error messages
    By Dai777 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 01:12 PM
  2. System halts at start.
    By jonnye in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-29-2006, 12:52 PM
  3. 2 error messages
    By Xeogears13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 02:27 AM
  4. System halts on USB keychain drive insertion
    By richter in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 10:10 PM
  5. System halts after loading miniroot.gz
    By thanos in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 01:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Computer (Model M0001A) picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Computer (Model M0001A)

$100.00



Vintage Apple M2115 SCSI External Hard Drive for Macintosh POWERS ON picture

Vintage Apple M2115 SCSI External Hard Drive for Macintosh POWERS ON

$119.89



vintage Rainbow Apple Logo Mouse Pad-Sealed New picture

vintage Rainbow Apple Logo Mouse Pad-Sealed New

$79.00



Vintage 1988 APPLE MACINTOSH “3 Stooges” 512K Romsimm AP1127-02 VERY RARE picture

Vintage 1988 APPLE MACINTOSH “3 Stooges” 512K Romsimm AP1127-02 VERY RARE

$399.00



Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X picture

Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X

$170.00



Vintage APPLE MACINTOSH II Desktop PC EMPTY CASE & Power Supply Only UNTESTED picture

Vintage APPLE MACINTOSH II Desktop PC EMPTY CASE & Power Supply Only UNTESTED

$39.90



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus A Guided Tour 1986 picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus A Guided Tour 1986

$25.50



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video picture

Vintage 1988 Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Computer Keyboard WORKING See Video

$225.00



Vintage Apple iBook G3 Clamshell M2453 Dead HDD For Parts As is picture

Vintage Apple iBook G3 Clamshell M2453 Dead HDD For Parts As is

$189.99