Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Downloading Knoppix 5.1 - Dual Boot plans as usual-new here.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3

    Downloading Knoppix 5.1 - Dual Boot plans as usual-new here.

    Hi,

    I've never used Knoppix before and I have a dual-boot system.
    WindowsXP + Elive (at the moment).

    I've done many installs next to my XP partition (like Sabayon, Ubuntu, DreamLinux etc).

    I just put the LiveCD in my drive, start the distro and hit 'install to disk', then I choose my Linux partition with the old distro on it, hit delete partition and make a new one instead and just start the install and write the GRUB to my MBR.
    It never have damaged my bootloader so my XP always stayed intact in the bootmenu.

    I'm downloading Knoppix right now and expect the same way to install it but I see so many topics about installations.... Is there something different about a Knoppix install ? Can my WindowsXP or bootloader-menu be damaged or fail when I delete my Elive partition and make a new one after Knoppix is loaded from CD and do an installation to Disk ??

    The forum made me feel unsecure now to do what I always do, so wanna know for sure .

    Thanks.
    Gr.
    Amp

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    hmm reply to myself...

    I thought knoppix was like Ubuntu which should be installed on HD an can also run from LiveCD but now I see that it's ONLY meant to use from the livecd (and some people did succeed to install it on HD but it was not meant for)

    Damn.... I was hoping to see something like SabayonLinux... a distro with Beryl preinstalled and codecs/drivers and stuff, but this time based on Debian instead of Gentoo.

    (that's why I hate Ubuntu, you start from scratch and have to install Beryl yourself and then it works very buggy or Sabayon which is based on Gentoo, so you can't use apt-get and using portage is crap)

    So I thought knoppix would be the solution.... too bad, I was not looking for just a live-cd which isn't meant to install to HD, just running live.

    I cancelled the download because I need a complete distro with Beryl preinstalled for my HD but based on Debian.

    I think I'll have to wait till some developer sees the light and will do the same like Sabayon but this time debian based .

    Greetings,
    Amp

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    I think the latest kanotix has all you're looking for; unfortunately I cannot find back the release notes for 2006-01-RC4...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by kirol
    I think the latest kanotix has all you're looking for; unfortunately I cannot find back the release notes for 2006-01-RC4...
    I found it: http://kanotix.com/Article181.html

    Compiz instead of Beryl, I can live with that, thanks for your reply, gonna try this one

    gr.
    Amp

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2005, 05:45 PM
  3. Dual Boot with XP Pro and Knoppix 3.9
    By Phantom69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 03:38 AM
  4. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  5. Dual Boot Knoppix and Windows(Dual Boot)?
    By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM picture

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM

$9599.00



128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5) picture

128GB (2x64GB) NEW Crucial Micron DDR5 5600 Desktop RAM UDIMM (CP2K64G56C46U5)

$2085.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Crucial DDR4 Pro 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4-3200 UDIMM 288-Pin CP32G4DFRA32A.M16FF picture

Crucial DDR4 Pro 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4-3200 UDIMM 288-Pin CP32G4DFRA32A.M16FF

$640.00



SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980 picture

16GB ( 4X 4GB ) MEMORY DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz FOR DELL OPTIPLEX 790 780 990 980

$39.99