4.0 was pretty buggy. If you can still find it, try a copy of 4.0.2.
All was well untill I have these troubles.
First. I get this error on my AMR Lucent Modem on Toshiba Satellite Laptop running Knoppix 4.0. The modem drivers are Smartlink Slmodem that worked fine untill one day did not.
I get this error
in /var/log/dmesg
slamr: Smartlink AMRM) modem
slamr: probe 8086:24d6 ICH card...
slamr: mc97 codec is AL40 (should be SIL27) some times I get yyyfff instead of SIL27
slamr: Cannot init card
and
Intel ICM Modem: probe of 0000:00:1f.6 failed with error -13
Secondly I have this trouble
Sound Server information message
Error with initializing the sound driver.
Cant set required samplingrate (request rate 44100 got rate 65635)
The sound server will continue using the null output device.
Playing any MP3 under these conditions just jams the Desktop only recourse is to shut it off.
All help welcome
Thanks,
AJ
4.0 was pretty buggy. If you can still find it, try a copy of 4.0.2.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00
Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99