-
TestDisk to recover XP drive
I am trying to recover the data from failed primary bootable FAT32 hard drive with WIN XP. I have downloaded Knoppix and booted from CD. I had no problem to mount the second drive (hdb1) but then I tried to mount primary (had) I got a message “Could not mount device. The reported error was: Failed to load $MTF: Input/output error� .
I created my own mount point /mymount and tried to run “mount –t vfat /dev/hda1 /mymount� and got a message “wrong fstipe, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, missing codepage or other error…�.
I have changed vfat to ntfs ang got an error “Failed to load $MTF…�
I ran “dmesg� it showed that “ FAT: bogus number in reserved sectors. VFS: Can’t find a valid filesystem on /dev/hda1.
I started TestDisk 6.3 utility and got a message : “check_NTFS: Incorrect number of heads/cylinder 255 (NTFS) != 16(HD) as well as WORNING “Bad ending head (CHS and LBA don’t match).
I am confused now, should I take the disk off and check the number of heads. I believe it should be printed on disk label?
Thanks for your help
Similar Threads
-
By riehlman in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-09-2008, 10:17 PM
-
By Chris2222 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
-
By kater in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-12-2007, 04:44 PM
-
By zeroboo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-22-2006, 06:48 AM
-
By duah55 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$52.99

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$39.99

256 GB NVMe M.2 80mm SSD, Misc Models and Brands, Tested and Cleaned
$25.99

128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia
$16.59

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Micron 1100 256GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MTFDDAK256TBN-1AR1ZABHA Tested & Wiped
$25.00

Netac 1TB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s MAC/PC
$109.99

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac
$60.00