can you ping your gateway?
do your dns servers show up in your /etc/resolv.conf?
Hello All:
Started trying out Knoppix and so far I like what I see..
I do have one issue though, in trying to configure my Network card (a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller 3C905C-TX Compatible)
The system does recognize it and configures it properly, IFCONFIG shows that it's up and running and shows all the correct info (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, etc.) , but when trying to access the net, it cannot resolve any DNS names.
Any thoughts...
can you ping your gateway?
do your dns servers show up in your /etc/resolv.conf?
Hi....
Yes to both questions.
So I take it that it should be possible to surf with an ethernet connection to my lan? How would I configure my ethernet card with the ip and dns settings? It's been a while since I have played around with Linux and I have gotten forgetful as to where I would enter this information.
When I attempted to change it asked for a password and I read that the password functions for root had been disabled. Is there way around this problem?
Finally, is it possible to save files to locations such as the floppy or your hard disk drive? I attempted to save to the HDD, and got a message saying it was locked.
Thanks for any help.
Yes. To execute a command with root priveleges, type sudo [command].When I attempted to change it asked for a password and I read that the password functions for root had been disabled. Is there way around this problem?
Yes, you may write to your hd, as long as it formatted as anything other than NTFS (technically you could still write to it, but it is not recommended). Knoppix mounts disks as read-only by default, but this can be changed. As floppies go, yes, it can also be done, provided you mount them first (mount /dev/fd0 ... It should then be mounted on /floppy). Make sure to unmount the floppy before removing it.Finally, is it possible to save files to locations such as the floppy or your hard disk drive? I attempted to save to the HDD, and got a message saying it was locked.
A useful script is conveniently included for this. Try 'sudo netcardconfig'.How would I configure my ethernet card with the ip and dns settings?

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A
$34.99
SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00
Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$52.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU
$50.00
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III 2.5" Internal SSD (MZ7LN250HMJP) dell Lenovo hp
$32.99
2 x SanDisk Plus SDSSDA 2.5" 240GB Solid State Drive
$29.50