Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Ethernet Issues

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2

    Ethernet Issues

    Hello All:

    Started trying out Knoppix and so far I like what I see..

    I do have one issue though, in trying to configure my Network card (a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller 3C905C-TX Compatible)

    The system does recognize it and configures it properly, IFCONFIG shows that it's up and running and shows all the correct info (IP address, gateway, DNS servers, etc.) , but when trying to access the net, it cannot resolve any DNS names.

    Any thoughts...

  2. #2
    SmokinGunz
    Guest

    ...

    can you ping your gateway?
    do your dns servers show up in your /etc/resolv.conf?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2

    Ehternet Issues

    Hi....

    Yes to both questions.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1

    Ethernet Configuration

    So I take it that it should be possible to surf with an ethernet connection to my lan? How would I configure my ethernet card with the ip and dns settings? It's been a while since I have played around with Linux and I have gotten forgetful as to where I would enter this information.

    When I attempted to change it asked for a password and I read that the password functions for root had been disabled. Is there way around this problem?

    Finally, is it possible to save files to locations such as the floppy or your hard disk drive? I attempted to save to the HDD, and got a message saying it was locked.

    Thanks for any help.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6
    When I attempted to change it asked for a password and I read that the password functions for root had been disabled. Is there way around this problem?
    Yes. To execute a command with root priveleges, type sudo [command].

    Finally, is it possible to save files to locations such as the floppy or your hard disk drive? I attempted to save to the HDD, and got a message saying it was locked.
    Yes, you may write to your hd, as long as it formatted as anything other than NTFS (technically you could still write to it, but it is not recommended). Knoppix mounts disks as read-only by default, but this can be changed. As floppies go, yes, it can also be done, provided you mount them first (mount /dev/fd0 ... It should then be mounted on /floppy). Make sure to unmount the floppy before removing it.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    6

    Ethernet issues

    How would I configure my ethernet card with the ip and dns settings?
    A useful script is conveniently included for this. Try 'sudo netcardconfig'.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.4 and nforce2 ethernet issues?
    By Sartan4455 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 05:43 PM
  2. ethernet III
    By djief in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 01:18 PM
  3. Ethernet card,
    By Arabian in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 05:32 AM
  4. usb to ethernet bridge
    By Bertje in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 10:16 AM
  5. Ethernet Help
    By Edgardo in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU picture

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU

$6998.00



Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA picture

Juniper Networks QFX-SFP-DAC-7MA to Brocade (Formerly) XBR-TWX-0701 Comp TAA

$196.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99