Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Newbie: customizing knoppix CD please help me

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    45

    Newbie: customizing knoppix CD please help me

    I'm away from the effected pc, and since shut it down, but I will try to sum this up the best way possible. and please remember that I'm a newbie to linux altogether, and a total newbie with debian (my first experience). I would also like to point out that I tried knoppix lite and would still like to customize it further, by adding mozilla for one and kmail, with some konsole tools such as bitchx, pine and that I'm looking for a distro with kde not icewm so most of the other mini CDs are great and all but aren't what I'm looking for.

    I used the guide @ http://gnubox.dyndns.org:8080/~sunil/knoppix.php
    I did everything I was told to until I got to customizing the packages inside of it, instead of using the "kicklist" file I chose to use "synaptic" cause I stupidly used the full knoppix CD to remaster instead of the knoppix lite (which I had tried previously and got fed up when I made the
    stupid mistake of entering the wrong DNS server when setting it up), I wanted to get rid of that many packages so I could fit one on a 80mm CD @ 200MB. I had troubles starting "synaptic" and used the su, cause I wasn't sure I'd had the appropriate permissions and played with the
    display=[ip address]:0.0 cause I wasn't sure it it was suppost to work with my ip on the net, my private ip address, or the loopback. After a few minutes online talking on irc to one of the channels on knoppix for help. the problem seemed to fix itself and "synaptic" started just fine.

    I removed and added various packages including all those international settings and all of the games. I also included some like gftp, bitchx, pine, jpilot/pilot-link. When I was done I used the "proceed" button and it started the process, but at the end there was a message displaying
    that there had been an error, the error was unknown to me but i did however recognize that it didn't remove some directories for some packages for whatever reason + the rest was trunciated. I took at look inside "synaptic" and it seemed like half of the packages had not installed/removed. I preceeded to re-remove them again and add them and hit proceed, this time with no error. I went on with the rest of the steps and then attempted to create the KNOPPIX file for my cd.
    When I came back the the pc, it seemed stuck on a bunch of "0","2", "1", ":" stuff and when I hit a key it kept repeating "bash [something] not found", which obviously I had no idea what the heck it was telling me. I had been curious also and I took a look and the size of the knoppix directory it uncompressed the "KNOPPIX" file into and the size was somewhere near 1.6GB so it seemed to me that no packages
    were actually removed because i'm under the impression that the un-edited, uncompressed version was somewhere near 1.7GB and I had supposedly deleted 400MB of the size when ininstalling/removing
    packages.

    I'd appreciate any help, or suggestions at all. and if you need more information, some that I either left out or did not think significant, please email me, or reply on this message board. I'd also entertain suggestions on an alternate guide for this, or programs, files.

    P.S. I'd also tried to use a couple of scripts to automate the process that were posted on the message board of knoppix.net but they also gave me the above mentioned "bash" error.

    P.P.S. sorry for being so wordy, but I thought any and all information would be help to anybody who had answered this post.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    75
    ok i havent seen the instructions you were using but i got that bash error twice doing two different things. once while i was remastering, my hard drive had improper permissions, had to remount partition manually. the other is when i happened to have my cd-burner give me a bad burn... rest of cd worked except for the one dumb problem. reburned just fine :-p

    On a different note. I do lots of remastering of Knoppix... we should talk... send e-mail or visit my unofficial sourceforge project page for Knoppix.

    http://sourceforge.net/docman/?group_id=70773

    remastering is very well covered if you click on Docs above this post then click on the remastering how to... its the one i use and the most successfull one i have found


    oh well, best of luck

    toast

Similar Threads

  1. some help customizing knoppix please?
    By lestat730 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 08:28 AM
  2. Customizing Knoppix 3.4/3.6 Newbie Help
    By CII in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 04:22 PM
  3. Customizing Knoppix
    By walterw in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 03:50 AM
  4. Customizing Knoppix!
    By praveen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 10:48 PM
  5. Newbie: Problems customizing knoppix lite
    By freeballer in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00