Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Booting into command line/overlaying installer options

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2

    Booting into command line/overlaying installer options

    Hello, this is my first time on the forums so greetings everyone!

    I'm looking to create an installation CD that allows the user to configure static IP/LAN options during install and then leaves the computer with certain services running (with the OS installed to HD, not running Live CD fashion). The largest range of hardware compatibility is desirable so Knoppix seems a good choice. However, after installation of the CD, I would like the system to run without a GUI and indeed without much of Knoppix's standard programs. So I have two things to learn 1) remastering Knoppix and 2) How to present a screen to the user of network options during, or directly after installation.

    (1) I will need to read about but I wonder if anyone knows whether (2) is possible before I perform lengthy research. It would also be great to hear options on whether Knoppix is the right thing to be using.

    Essentially I would like Apache, PHP, FTP and SSH to be running after installation.

    Thanks in advance for any comments.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    122
    Well.... if you are working from a HD install then "remastering" is not what your looking for...


    To answer one of your questions... simply pass the argument "2" (without quotes) to the kernel at boot. Without knowing how your booting the system I cant tell you step by ste what to do...

    for grub: you would edit menu.lst and add a "2" the the end of the "kernel" line....

    same premis with loadlin.... simply change your boot string by adding the "2" to the end.....

    ....knoppix will then start in Runlevel 2 by default....which is multi-user text-only (note: the command " init 5 " (no quotes) as root will start Xorg)

    Since you are running from a HD install....simply configure the services you want and your settings will be saved just as any other Debian system (in theory)..



    Take Care,
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2
    Hi and thanks for the feedback. I don't think I was clear about what I meant by a hard drive installation. The reason I want to remaster is because I want to create a CD which, when installed, creates a server with Apache, PHP, FTP and SSH running. The idea is for this CD to be installed many times on different PCs/Servers. In this case, the remastering process is mainly to get rid of superfluous applications (i.e. mostly everything) and allow me to pre-configure the services. To this end, it may seem a poor choice to use Knoppix given I want to scrub almost every program on it, but the excellent hardware support is what's attractive (to give best chance of the CD installing on most hardware).

    My first question then would be: Do people think it's a good idea to be even using Knoppix for this, maybe there's a better starting option?


    The bit about overlaying a means of configuring networking I should've perhaps left out so as not to confuse the issue....

    Best regards

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    I think your plan is OK, but I have to warn you about the hardware detection: It often dosn't work as well when Knoppix is HD-installed. For instance, I lost contact with the network chip on my laptop after HD install, worked fine off the CD/DVD.. "Solved" it by putting in a PCMCIA card.. What I try out, is using a USB pen instead of CD/DVD, and run everything off that, with partitions on the HD mounted. That has worked quite fine for me with a remastered Knx 5.0.1, except that I could not get it to boot directly from the pen. Got around that by installing GRUB on the HD and making the USB a booting option. The main obstacle with such a setup will be user management, I think.

Similar Threads

  1. Finding a command line
    By topcat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 09:34 PM
  2. Command Line Editors
    By vblazier in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 03:51 AM
  3. DOS Command Line?
    By Mongoose in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 12:23 AM
  4. booting into the command line
    By greygooseplz in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 05:58 AM
  5. command line WOES
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 11:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST Ultrastar 4TB SAS 12Gb/s 7200RPM 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 4TB SAS 12Gb/s 7200RPM 3.5" HDD HUS726040AL5214 4Kn

$56.00



Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5

Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408

$354.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$84.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED picture

HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED

$34.95



Western Digital 2TB WD2003FYYS-02W0B0 3.5

Western Digital 2TB WD2003FYYS-02W0B0 3.5" SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive

$44.99



HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 2TB 3.5" Enterprise SATA 7200RPM Internal HDD HUS724020ALA640

$54.99



Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5

Seagate BarraCuda ST5000LM000 5TB 5400RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard

$169.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99