-
Where does user data get saved when running Knoppix 5.1 DVD
When I save Bookmarks or download a new nvidia driver etc etc - where does at that in fact get saved on my hard disks - eh - there is no way it will be being written on the dvd or?
I did in fact download a new linux nvidia driver package and then rebooted using the "knoppix 3" cheat to install the driver - but could find the download nowhere? Even here in MS Vista (RC1) when I look for the nvidia download it finds nothing?
So where does user data go in general when running a knoppix 5.1 live from a dvd - I have been trying to get an answer to this question on the German Formum also (I a a Brit living in Berlin-) but have had no response sofar.
rb
-
Senior Member
registered user
one of the nice things about Kboppix is that is wont acess your disks without you "force" it there, this makes it a "safe" distribution for a beginner.
so if you have not made a permanent home on a FAT formatted USB pendrive or hdd it gets saved in ram, when you reboot it is gone.
Linux has only dangerously unstable NTFS write capabilities so be certain that you only save to FAT formated partition.
you can certainly save to a USB disk (if it is mounted then changed to read write), as with permanent home you must have the disk formatted as FAT (or linux filesystem ext3, reiserfs...), diskette and zip would also work, even burn it on a second cd or dvd burner.
-

Originally Posted by
OErjan
one of the nice things about Kboppix is that is wont acess your disks without you "force" it there, this makes it a "safe" distribution for a beginner.
so if you have not made a permanent home on a FAT formatted USB pendrive or hdd it gets saved in ram, when you reboot it is gone.
Linux has only dangerously unstable NTFS write capabilities so be certain that you only save to FAT formated partition.
you can certainly save to a USB disk (if it is mounted then changed to read write), as with permanent home you must have the disk formatted as FAT (or linux filesystem ext3, reiserfs...), diskette and zip would also work, even burn it on a second cd or dvd burner.
Thanks for your answer but I am still a bit confused. I only have 80GB total in the pc and there is one partition with xp on it (fat32) and another partition with vista RC1 (NTFS) - so If I understand you correctly I can run the knoppix from the dvd live and still write to the (xp-) fat32 disk partition.
BUT... when I boot the dvd knoppix with cheat command "knoppix 3" to start at a unix prompt in userlevel 3 <which seems to be needed to install the nvidia drivers- at least x driver should not be running> - I have no idea how to access the c:/ partition (fat32) where I would try and save the nvidea install package?
short version - how do I save the package to c: and how do I access the package on c: to mount it from within knoppix at level 3 in a unix terminal mode (- or whatever it is called - i.e. with no GUI?)
Sorry to go on and on but I just dont have a clue and am trying hard to learn...!
rb
-
Senior Member
registered user
you would find installing the package hard, mostly as the DVD is read only,
start it in normal mode. to access the fat partition, just klick on the desktop icon, when the filebrowser has opened you rightclick on the disktop icon and either under actions or directly under the menu you get you have change read write mode.
if you still want to get acess to it under cli, just type
then
Code:
sudo remount -rw /mnt/partition-name
the partition name can be found with
minor L not capital i, there you should see something like
Code:
Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, xxxxxxxxxxx bytes
yyy heads, zz sectors/track, nnnn cylinders
Units = cylinders of xxxxx * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 0 0 00000 83 NTFS
/dev/hda2 0 0 0000000+ 83 FAT
just use the /dev/ that ends in fat.
to get the file, write
that should get you the latest Nvidia for linux.
have fun
Similar Threads
-
By kpfuser in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-18-2006, 09:35 PM
-
By collectorx in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-06-2006, 12:00 AM
-
By bioll321 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-24-2005, 04:01 PM
-
By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-14-2004, 10:54 PM
-
By Butch in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-17-2003, 02:59 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 20 Micron 16GB DDR4-3200 ECC RDIMM 2Rx8 MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1 320GB
$2399.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM
$320.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00