-
Junior Member
registered user
how do I force detection of my PCMCIA modem?
I've checked using lsmod and the pcmcia_core isn't loaded. I can
load it using modprobe but I'm kinda stuck as to where to go from there.
If I go to KPPP I can't seem to get it to see my modem.
I'm afraid that my installation (on hd) was complicated because I used
"nopcmcia" in order to boot from CD (as with Transmeta notebooks my
Sony micro-laptop uses a funky PCMCIA modem). So I did the "ide2=0x180 nopcmcia" option.
Anyway, I want to (1) be able to force the detection of new PCMCIA
devices on my laptop (I have at least three cards I want to be able to
use at various times - a Fast Ethernet card, a wireless Orinoco card, and my New Media 56k modem).
I've checked the Docs section of the site and haven't found a lot on PCMCIA modems or on forcing hardware detection post-hd install.
Can anyone offer a pointer to docs or some direct advice on the issue?
I promise to write it up in a HOWTO and add it to the WIKI once I figure out how to do this (if it hasn't already been done and I missed it).
Thanks!
Stefan
I have the May 3 distribution of Knoppix 3.2.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: how do I force detection of my PCMCIA modem?

Originally Posted by
stefan_isaacs
I've checked using lsmod and the pcmcia_core isn't loaded. I can
load it using modprobe but I'm kinda stuck as to where to go from there.
If I go to KPPP I can't seem to get it to see my modem.
I'm afraid that my installation (on hd) was complicated because I used
"nopcmcia" in order to boot from CD (as with Transmeta notebooks my
Sony micro-laptop uses a funky PCMCIA modem). So I did the "ide2=0x180 nopcmcia" option.
Anyway, I want to (1) be able to force the detection of new PCMCIA
devices on my laptop (I have at least three cards I want to be able to
use at various times - a Fast Ethernet card, a wireless Orinoco card, and my New Media 56k modem).
I've checked the Docs section of the site and haven't found a lot on PCMCIA modems or on forcing hardware detection post-hd install.
Can anyone offer a pointer to docs or some direct advice on the issue?
I promise to write it up in a HOWTO and add it to the WIKI once I figure out how to do this (if it hasn't already been done and I missed it).
Thanks!
Stefan
I have the May 3 distribution of Knoppix 3.2.
As far as I know, PCMCIA system needs three modules :
1. pcmcia_core
2. yenta_socket or tcic or i86365(check the actual file name), depends on what chipset etc. is used for the PCMCIA hardware
3. cardmgr(a program, not module)
after loading these three, it is a matter of modifying the files under /etc/pcmcia so the correct device driver(for the PCMCIA device inserted) would be loaded.
-
Junior Member
registered user
nearly there.. now just a PPP problem
I think I'm nearly there. I went to /etc/init.d and fired up the pcmcia service (and thus got the yenta thingie and cardmgr). I was able to find the modem and configure it from KPPP and dial out.
I get a solid connection and then I get the notice that my computer is starting pppd. But pppd times out and kills itself. Any ideas as to why?
I was thinking the pppd daemon should already be running, but I don't
know where to begin looking for it.
Maybe I'm misconfigured?
thanks for the help!
cheers,
S.
Similar Threads
-
By AlBorland in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-30-2004, 09:40 AM
-
By beecee in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-16-2004, 11:58 PM
-
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-25-2003, 12:21 PM
-
By borisp71 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-17-2003, 04:52 AM
-
By moosedaddy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-24-2003, 02:53 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server
$325.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 64GB RAM No Drives/OS Server
$490.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00