Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: how do I force detection of my PCMCIA modem?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Camano Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

    how do I force detection of my PCMCIA modem?

    I've checked using lsmod and the pcmcia_core isn't loaded. I can
    load it using modprobe but I'm kinda stuck as to where to go from there.
    If I go to KPPP I can't seem to get it to see my modem.

    I'm afraid that my installation (on hd) was complicated because I used
    "nopcmcia" in order to boot from CD (as with Transmeta notebooks my
    Sony micro-laptop uses a funky PCMCIA modem). So I did the "ide2=0x180 nopcmcia" option.

    Anyway, I want to (1) be able to force the detection of new PCMCIA
    devices on my laptop (I have at least three cards I want to be able to
    use at various times - a Fast Ethernet card, a wireless Orinoco card, and my New Media 56k modem).

    I've checked the Docs section of the site and haven't found a lot on PCMCIA modems or on forcing hardware detection post-hd install.

    Can anyone offer a pointer to docs or some direct advice on the issue?
    I promise to write it up in a HOWTO and add it to the WIKI once I figure out how to do this (if it hasn't already been done and I missed it).

    Thanks!
    Stefan

    I have the May 3 distribution of Knoppix 3.2.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: how do I force detection of my PCMCIA modem?

    Quote Originally Posted by stefan_isaacs
    I've checked using lsmod and the pcmcia_core isn't loaded. I can
    load it using modprobe but I'm kinda stuck as to where to go from there.
    If I go to KPPP I can't seem to get it to see my modem.

    I'm afraid that my installation (on hd) was complicated because I used
    "nopcmcia" in order to boot from CD (as with Transmeta notebooks my
    Sony micro-laptop uses a funky PCMCIA modem). So I did the "ide2=0x180 nopcmcia" option.

    Anyway, I want to (1) be able to force the detection of new PCMCIA
    devices on my laptop (I have at least three cards I want to be able to
    use at various times - a Fast Ethernet card, a wireless Orinoco card, and my New Media 56k modem).

    I've checked the Docs section of the site and haven't found a lot on PCMCIA modems or on forcing hardware detection post-hd install.

    Can anyone offer a pointer to docs or some direct advice on the issue?
    I promise to write it up in a HOWTO and add it to the WIKI once I figure out how to do this (if it hasn't already been done and I missed it).

    Thanks!
    Stefan

    I have the May 3 distribution of Knoppix 3.2.
    As far as I know, PCMCIA system needs three modules :

    1. pcmcia_core
    2. yenta_socket or tcic or i86365(check the actual file name), depends on what chipset etc. is used for the PCMCIA hardware
    3. cardmgr(a program, not module)

    after loading these three, it is a matter of modifying the files under /etc/pcmcia so the correct device driver(for the PCMCIA device inserted) would be loaded.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Camano Island, Washington, USA
    Posts
    14

    nearly there.. now just a PPP problem

    I think I'm nearly there. I went to /etc/init.d and fired up the pcmcia service (and thus got the yenta thingie and cardmgr). I was able to find the modem and configure it from KPPP and dial out.

    I get a solid connection and then I get the notice that my computer is starting pppd. But pppd times out and kills itself. Any ideas as to why?
    I was thinking the pppd daemon should already be running, but I don't
    know where to begin looking for it.

    Maybe I'm misconfigured?

    thanks for the help!

    cheers,
    S.

Similar Threads

  1. Xircom PCMCIA modem hangs up
    By AlBorland in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 09:40 AM
  2. Laptop PCMCIA card (re)detection-again
    By beecee in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 11:58 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 12:21 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2003, 04:52 AM
  5. PCMCIA Modem
    By moosedaddy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2003, 02:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99